When to take my baby off the bottle? Hes turing one on July 26th, only has 2 teeth but two more are growing in, as we speak.. And is not walking either.. My SIL says I should do it on his 1st birthday.. IS IT TO SOON?

cadensmom726

Asked by cadensmom726 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yea It is Cause then he'll end up in his bed screaming and crying and u will be up all night till he gets his bottle just give him a cup during the day and the bottle at night for like a couple days the switch to the sippy cup for alittle and see how he does
    Lizard630

Answer by Lizard630 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I took my daughter off bottles when she was 7mths old..it really all depends on the child. it will be a mess when you first try you just need to find a cup that he likes. it really has nothing to do with teeth or walking..it all on when you want to do it and you can always ask the doctor for advice
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 3:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• The only person who can decide whether it is to early is you. If you are ready to stop breast feeding he will be fine. One thing you might want to do is to slowly eliminate feeding, like one feed per week or something (and only if you are ready). You baby will be fine either way. I breast fed my kids till 13 or 14 months. With the first baby I started to wean him and the first week I started he decided he wanted milk and not breast milk. With the others it took long, and I got down to one feeding a day and eventually it ended mainly because they did not want it. So do what you want not what others think you should do.

Lisa
    www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 3:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• No age 1 is a good time. Do it slowly, first give him a sippy cup during the day but allow a bottle at naptime & bedtime. He probably won't mind at all, you might have to try a few different brands. After a month or so replace the sleeptime bottle with a sippy cup of water, he might fuss about that a little, but making a big deal of the "big boy cup" usually works & ends fussing within a few days.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Well what I did was when they were about 11 months I started introducing the sippy cup. Then they still had the security for a few weeks while I practiced feeding more solids until 12 months. The idea tho is to NOT use the cuppy as a bottle! Only drinks with meals or water/milk whatever are ok inbetween and only as sips. My pediatrician said "teeth mean food" So I kind of stuck with that. So I guess my advice is to only take it away when you are ready to not ever use it again. Make the winging fast!
    J-MOM24

Answer by J-MOM24 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Okay here is the EVIL sister in laws advice: you should do it when you think is right....like these lovely ladies said, but I did it on Charlie first birthday (happy birthday you lose the bottle LOL) and it worked out really well for me....I stayed strong...My advice is to pick a date and STICK to it and stay strong...

We both know I have problems w/ the paci, and it is because I wont stay stong w/ keeping it away. Instead of just letting her cry for it and letting her just fall asleep...I revert back to the paci...because that is MY weekness...
    codi_rich

Answer by codi_rich at 3:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• With both of my children I took the bottle away at or around one year. By that point though they were both already using the sippy a lot. I just simply stopped giving it to them and gave them the sippy instead. I also stopped formula (breastfed but had to stop for various reasons) at the same time and switched to milk and juice.

If your baby isn't taking a sippy yet don't just take the bottle away. Have him get used to the sippy first. Then after a while phase the bottle out or just stop using it. It's when you go beyond a year that you have serious trouble.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I'm feeling your pain!! My little guy will be 1 ont he 27th. The has 7 teeth, and is eating just about everything, though. A couple of weeks ago I had him down to 2 bottles a day. Then he got sick and wouldn't eat, so I upped his bottles. Now it seems like we are back to square 1! I'm going to start again tomorrow when dad goes back to work. Its just easier when we are here by ourselves. My older 2 were off by their 1st birthdays. I remember thinking how hard it was going to be, but after a couple of days, they didn't even look for it anymore. Good luck!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• All the "books" say to get rid of bottles by 1 year. Why? To protect the baby's teeth from being coated with milk all night long, so the child will begin to use a cup instead, and because it's easier now than when they are 2.

My DD used a sippy cup just fine for meals and during the day but still wanted the comfort of sucking on a bottle while we were rocking and reading stories before naps and bedtime. I just didn't have the heart to take it away from her so I switched her to water. I just slowly thinned down the milk until it was pure water - it took about 2 weeks.

She's 23 months and still gets her bottle of water when we rock before sleeping. I'm not going to push her to give it up yet. She's got SOOOO many other changes in the next year - potty training, big girl bed, moving into a new bedroom, possibly even preschool one day a week. I'll tackle the bottle last and use the "bottle fairy" trick if need be.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I took my son off the bottle at 12 months. He only had 4 teeth at the time, Two on top and two on bottom. He never had any trouble eating regular food. At 18 months he is just now getting more bottom teeth.
    sychofaerie

Answer by sychofaerie at 4:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2008