Do you think that mothers should have the choice to deliver vaginally or have c-section?

I have heard more and more cases about woman would just want to elect to have a c-section and not even go into labor. I was always told that the safest way to deliver a baby was vaganially. Having a c-section has more risks. I personally would never opt for a c-section. I would much rather deal with a few hours of pain from labor than dealing with the recovery of having a c-section. I asked my female ob why are doctor now doing elective c-sections and she said she thinks that if a woman has the right to chose whether or not to have a baby, she should also be able to decide how the baby is brought into the world? I also thought that insurance companies would only cover a c-section if it was deemed medically necessary. So do the doctors who perform elective c-section lie to the insurance companies or do the woman pay for the c-section themselves.

slick05

Asked by slick05 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should only be done in emergencies. It's a major surgery. Would you elect to get your appendix out if you didn't really need to? Giving birth naturally is a wonderful experience and I don't understand why you would rob yourself of that.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i do not think mothers should have a choice on elective C section. I also don't think they should have a choice for pain medication too. It's just an opinion
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think it should be the mother choice. I personally would not want to have a csection and will do anything to prevent it. But my friend says after having 1 natural and 1 csection she would opt to have a csection. Not sure how but she said it was so much easier for her than vaginal.
    tdawn_21

Answer by tdawn_21 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It should not be a choice.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Interesting point. If a woman can choose whether her child lives or dies, then she certainly should be allowed to choose her method of birth. Isn't that what "choice" is all about? Or is it only "choice" when it goes along with YOUR opinion.

I personally had two c-sections. One emergent and one planned. The planned one was weighed heavily and both my doctor, husband, and I felt it was the safest route for me and the baby. My children are healthy, happy, and beautiful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I kind of had an elective c-section. I didn't want it to be that way though. I found out DH was leaving for Iraq, I had about three weeks notice, and I begged the doctors to induce me. They thought I was ready and after three days of Pitocin, I had only dialated to a centimeter. I really felt it was important that DH met his son before he left, in case something happened(I hate even typing that but thats what I was thinking). I chose to have a csection. DH got to spend four days with our son before he left. I would NEVER have another csection again. I have had a horrible experience. Thank god I had my mom around. Anyways, given the choice again I wouldn't have had a csection. IDK why anyone would choose to have a csection. The recovery is horrible and it makes breastfeeding really hard. I'm going for a VBAC for the next one.
    TrevorsMommy03

Answer by TrevorsMommy03 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Doctors are probably LIEING. I have had both, my first was a c-section, my second vaginally. I would rather have a vaginal birth, when the baby pops out. The pain is mostly gone. But it takes months to ge over a c-section. 

I think c-section should only happen in extreme emergencies.

Answer by louise2 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I do my best to not consider the medical decisions of another. Especially when it comes to the birth of their child. If there doctor makes them have one or the other, that is wrong. Otherwise, it is their body, their choice.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• LOL, charisma. Pain meds shouldn't be an option either? Pray tell, why not?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Did you know that 60% of female OB's have elective c-sections?

I have a friend who's baby is brain damaged because of vaginal birth (cord wrapped around neck) and trust me if she could redo it she was have opted for a c-section too.

I think it's MYBODY MY CHOICE. If I want to make it safer for my baby, so be it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2008