Baby sleeping in the swing all night?? (We're having a problem...)

I'm too tired to type it all out, but a little background -- J's had SEVERE nasal congestion for weeks now. Been to the doctor 3x. Diagnosed upper respiratory inf, then sinusitis, then back to URI. Three different antibiotics, musinex, and dimatap for overnight. (J's 10 months old.) I also have every thing under the sun going non-medicinally -- humidifier, air purifier, bed mattress elevated, vicks vapor thing, saline, snot sucker, etc., etc. It continues, and in fact is getting worse (he just started daycare, I should add - probably picking up bugs left and right, I would imagine.)

He went through a period about two weeks ago of not sleeping over night much AT ALL because of this congestion, and I nearly lost my mind. I'm a single mom, also with no family in state, and I was only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night - my anxiety and so on was becoming absolutely nightmarish on that lack of sleep for weeks.

It then got better - back to his normal 8-9 hours, and my normal 6-7 hours. Now, last night, it started again -- he woke up at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep for hours. I only got 2 hours sleep all night. At one point I did the saline, the snot sucker, redosed his medication, and put him in his swing. He fell asleep in there pretty quickly (after crying for an hour and a half straight before that.) Here's my question -- what about him sleeping in the swing all night? It just doesn't seem quite right to me, like it can't be comfortable, or an "acceptable" way to sleep all night, but if it actually makes him sleep, then I would imagine it's what's best, right?

Also, I don't want to get him in the habit of not being able to sleep unless he's in the swing, though. That could lead to a whole new problem.

And, another issue -- should I start him in his bed, then if he can't sleep, switch him to the swing? But if I do that, then won't he get the idea that when he goes to bed, if he cries enough, he gets to go into the swing? (Right now I know without a doubt that he's waking up and staying awake because of his nasal congestion, not because he just wants to play or wants me to come to him -- I'm talking about when that's past -- creating a bad habit of him crying because he knows I'll get him out of bed or put him in the swing, and that will lead to lack of sleep for me that way...)

Help!?

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would keep him in the swing until he was better, then u will have to listen to him fuss a night or so about the crib if he becomes attached, but that is better then listening to him the whole time he is sick. He needs his rest (so do u) and if he gets it in the swing I would keep doing it.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think since he has the nasal congestion the swing probably makes it easier to sleep because he is upright more and everything isn't going down the back of his throat. I think for a couple nights it might be okay as long as the swing is right by you because you don't want him falling out of it or anything like that.

When my DD was this age she was very colicky and the only thing that helped was the swing. She would sit in the swing for a couple of hours at a time, which I know is not the best thing. It was the only thing that kept me sane at that point.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The big issue with something like that is that it's not designed for long term sitting. It's been a while since I read the article but I believe it can damage the skull and compromise the airway. I'd do some extra research on that. When my daughter had severe congestion due to colds as an infant, we did have her in a rocker seat (cloth as opposed to rigid backing) for comfort once or twice. It was the only way she (and we) could sleep. It wasn't ever for more than 1 night though.

Hope your little one feels much better soon.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My youngest had trouble with reflux when he was just a few months old. He would only sleep comfortably in his carrier or his bouncy seat because it kept his upper body elevated. His pediatrician said that having him sleep like that wasn't any problem as long as he got enough tummy time during the day. Once we got his reflux under control, he transitioned to the crib with no troubles at all.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Don't start the swing sleeping, my oldest son was put to sleep in a swing a daycare because he would not sleep in his crib and I had a horrible time getting him to sleep at home. Please do not start that.

Does your little guy have ear infection? If so, put tubes in his ears. My second child would get the runny noise, watery eyes, and sleeping at night went to non existent. I put tubes in his ears and over night he was a completely different child. The infections started at about 10 months and he was sick for 2 months prior to me putting tubes in his ears. At 2 Years I ended up having his tonsils taken out because about twice a year his infection would come back and wash his tub out and on his 3rd set I told them to take the tonsils too. He has been great for a year now.

good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011