What age is it ok for my dau to get a ride in another teens car?

My 16 yr old dau asked if her friend boy 18 not her boyfriend could get a ride to the bowling alley with others 5 in all . Not sure think he is a safe driver has been driving for a while just got a used car. Nervous but other mothers allow it???

suesues

Asked by suesues at 8:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• What time of day? If it's daylight that's one thing but night is another. I would be concerned about the number of young people in the vehicle and probably say no if it were me.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It would depend on how well I knew the guy or anyone thats driving. I wouldnt be comfortable with it at night. If you are nervous then just drive her.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I allow it. My sons 17 and he started riding with his friends last year when they got their licenses. I just have rules about it like everything else. I prefer them to be out during the day and not drive at night. I want to know where they are and they cannot go cruising all over the place. Now that my son is 17 and getting his license it is pretty hard for me to say he cant ride in a car with his friends when he has a car himself.

Answer by gemgem at 8:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would allow it.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• About 17 or 18 depending on the maturity of the teens.

Answer by Bmat at 8:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• well here's part of the problem.... They can get the ride once they are out of your sight. It a simple matter of letting you believe they won't, and just meet their friends around the corner and hop on in and away they go. You're none the wiser. Thats what I woulda done as a teen.

For an answer, I wouldn't want them to, but I also know I'd have to just depend on them to respect that knowing I had no real control over it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't be comfy with that...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't be comfortable with that many kids in the car, if it was my child I'd be alright with her, the driver and maybe another friend. The more kids that are in a car the more likely it is for an accident to happen. It also depends on the guy driving, I was a good driver at 16...and by 18 I didn't take any risks whatsoever. Do you trust your daughter to make the correct decision??? It depends on how mature she is, and if she's smart enough (and will do it) to tell the driver to pull over and call you if he drives like he has no sense.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• does your state not have laws about teens having so many passengers? here i think you can only have 1 passenger until a certain age.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son gets rides to and home from youth group. he is 16, i guess you need to ask questions and if they are going right there and back then i really don't have a problem. but that many in the car i might have more of a problem with.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2011