Teachers' union aiming for Idaho now

http://www.kxly.com/news/26948208/detail.html

School was closed on President's Day but education was on many minds in North Idaho.

Teachers and supporters held a rally in Coeur d'Alene joining dozens across the state against a proposed plan to revamp Idaho schools."Students benefit when they're taught by talented people who love their jobs, they benefit when they're taught by teachers who are treated with respect," said a speaker addressing a large crowd outside the Human Rights Institute (HRI).

Signs held high shared one simple message: Superintendent Tom Luna's educational reform plan isn't welcome here. Under attack is Luna's "Students Come First" plan. If passed, it would remove tenure for teachers, cut hundreds of teaching jobs to pay for new classroom technology, and require high school students to take six online credits before graduating.

"My biggest concern is we're not thinking about the kids education, we're thinking about money. Luna's plan is not the solution to our money problems and he's attacking the wrong things," said Kelly Howard, a Post Falls elementary school teacher.

Young and old, braved the cold and hit the streets of Coeur d'Alene on Monday afternoon. They walked from City Hall to HRI to voice their outrage.

"I started teaching 34 years ago and I'm outraged about what is happening down in Boise," said Coeur D'Alene educator Mary Ruch.

Luna critics also claim that his education plan is a money-making scheme for those parties who contributed to his political campaign in 2010.

"Mr. Luna is right about one thing, we can't sustain the system the way it is, but his changes are unacceptable to teachers," added Mike Ruskovich.

Not everyone is up in arms. There are groups supporting the educational reform plan including the Kootenai County Reagan Republicans who have gone on the record saying they endorse Luna's proposal.

"It's time to start thinking about the students and making sure that their educational achievement is the focus. If we have to decrease union power in Idaho, that's what we'll have to do," said Jeff Ward, President of the Kootenai County Reagan Republicans.

The Idaho Senate is scheduled to look at Luna's plan this week in Boise.

So the best interest of the students is shooting down plans that require technological literacy (aka a basic survival skill to ever hope to get through college or a job in the 21st century) in exchange for ensuring unqualified and unmotivated teachers can keep their jobs forever?  Is there really anything that does a greater disservice to our kids than tenure?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "Mr. Luna is right about one thing, we can't sustain the system the way it is,but his changes are unacceptable to teachers," added Mike Ruskovich

Just curious, but just what do they think should be changed since the system can't be sustained running like it is now?  Nobody likes to think they are a part of the problem.  It's sad that students pay the highest price for this idiocy.

At least they used a school holiday to stage their protest instead of leaving the kids without teachers.  They are already ahead of WI.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I assume they will be spread pretty thinly in the next upcoming months with so many new Repub. Gov's in office as of Jan with new budgets in hand. Ohio will completely fall apart over this I think.
    Is tenure a great disservice? Probably.
    What incentive does anyone have to WORK when they know they cannot lose their jobs? No incentive.= Lousy teachers.
    No incentive in any industry creates lousy employees and lousy citizens.
    No sympathy here for teachers unions, and that includes my family members who are part of it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Well I at least have to give them credit for not closing schools for their protest.

And the ever famous its not about the money its about the children defense...... How exactly would the children be hurt under this plan?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• This is difficult for me as I am a teacher and Union member- here is my POV- the Union at the National level has lost touch with the rank and file. Our local chapter does a good job navigating the political turmoil that has pitted us against our parents and share holders. I think the local unions need to stand up and clean house at the National level. As a teacher- I would have no problem re-applying for my job, losing tenure, etc... because I know I have made the impact at my school that would keep me around. ALL teachers should feel this way. The problem is that National Union is working too hard to save the few teachers that need to move on for the good of everyone- they are pandering to the lowest rather than taking a good look at the majority- It has turned into an assault in teaching as a profession rather than admitting like all professions we have some deadwood that needs to be addressed CONT
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• As a teacher, its hard to feel like a political adversary to your share holders-its hard to remember that the change they are looking for is not about YOU -its about the crappy teacher down the hall- you agree they need to go but the rhetoric gets going and pretty soon everyone is running scared and loses sight of the fact that the sad truth is that as a profession we are no different than everyone else-we have crap that needs to be addressed. I hope the local Unions get it together and make sure the National Union reflects who we are- mos of us are not afraid of reform- we welcome it!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• "most of us" not mos..... so much for being a good example right?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The problem is that National Union is working too hard to save the few teachers that need to move on for the good of everyone- they are pandering to the lowest rather than taking a good look at the majority- It has turned into an assault in teaching as a profession rather than admitting like all professions we have some deadwood that needs to be addressed

I think more of us understand that the point you make isn't just about the teaching profession.  It goes for many different situations where standards are set low so that they practically don't exist.  This is just front and center because of current events.  Low standards and saving the dead weight hurts everyone in the long run.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• – collapse

I fervently hope that this pro union wave sweeps the entire country

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I fervently hope that this pro union wave sweeps the entire country

ROFLMAO what "pro-union wave"? This is coordinated by a national organization grasping desperately at straws because it's on its last breath.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ROFLMAO what "pro-union wave"? This is coordinated by a national organization grasping desperately at straws because it's on its last breath.

Why do you hate the middle class so much?  What are you so afraid of?

BTW Idaho is a right to work state.   It means union membership cannot be mandatory

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2011