Have you every changed the exterior trim colour of your home?

Our home has white and rust coloured accents with reddish-orange brick. We would like to change the accents to white and robust yellow. What did you learn in the process? What would you do differently if you did it again?

Nonoluna

Asked by Nonoluna at 8:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yes, we changed the entire exterior of our last house.

I would check the painters' references carefully. Go by their past customers' homes and see the work. Talk with their customers if you can. Also, be sure that they do all the necessary prep work. For repainting, removing the old peely stuff, caulking, sanding and sealing/priming is SUPER important.

Also, wait until the weather is good. Not too cold or too wet during or just after the work is done. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, I painted my house a light brown color and accented the trims in beige and it looks great!

Answer by older at 9:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We changed the color at the house we used to live in. It really wasn't a problem at all. We hired a professional painting company to do it. We got 2 quotes. One of them told me it would cost extra to change color (I have no idea why, as we were actually going with a darker color over a very pale color) and the other one told me the cost was the same no matter what color I chose. So we went with the 2nd quote. They did 2 full coats and it looked great.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011