Union fight moves to Indiana. Which side are you on?

Union supporters shouted "lie" and "shame" at members of a Republican-led Indiana House committee who voted in favor of so-called right-to-work legislation, after impassioned arguments that it was aimed at weakening unions and would drive down wages.

The House Employment, Labor and Pensions Committee voted 8-5 along party lines Monday to send to the full House the bill prohibiting union representation fees from being a condition of employment as is included in the union contracts of some companies

Do you believe it should be mandatory to join a union on condition of employment or should you have a choice.

The Union is afraid that if given the option, their memberships will dwindle.
If the Unions are so great, why would people choose not to join?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you believe it should be mandatory to join a union on condition of employment or should you have a choice.

I thought they still had a choice to not join the union, the only thing they didn't have a choice about is to pay the fees.  So if you choose not to join, you have no voice and no benefits from them, but you are still required to pay union dues.  Or am I thinking of something else? 

Either way, I don't think you should be required to join a union.  BIL worked for UPS for a short time and the union tried to get him to join.  He said NO, he wasn't interested.  They told him, 'if you don't join, UPS can fire you for any reason'.  He responded saying, 'if they want to fire me it's probably because I am not doing my job and I'm okay with that.  I would fire me too if I weren't doing my job".

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Unions have outlived their usefullness.
    The union pop. used to be over 8% recently.
    As of Jan I think it was down to 7%
    By 2012 I hope it's 0%.
    If you need a Union to keep you employed, you don't deserve a job IMO.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• If there is a Union most times you dont have a choice and have to pay the dues. This is one reason I am against Unions. I believe in choice.

Answer by gemgem at 9:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Or am I thinking of something else?

**

http://www.mackinac.org/8293

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I grew up in a union household. G-pa & dad worked for unions, & at one point, so did I. I have seen them do wonderful things for their membership. (Ohio is an at will state- which means they can fire you for no reason at all) While there are exceptions, like protecting people who so obviously need to lose their jobs for clearly breaking the rules, those exceptions are in the minority. Union workers in my state have bared the brunt of concessions to keep their jobs & the jobs of their union brothers & sisters. I believe Union busting will lead to a decline in a working wage, and overall fair treatment of workers.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• SO what do unions actually do??? Besides take money from hard workers????
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:11 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My state reps already have my opinion on this - absolutely without a doubt long overdue.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I believe Union busting will lead to a decline in a working wage, and overall fair treatment of workers.

If the membership is only 7% of the private sector workforce now, and many people have good non union jobs, wouldn't that impact have been felt long ago?
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

I can see why people might be concerned about this, however there have been many laws passed that protect employees from abuse from employers.  Unions are not as useful as they once were.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I live in Indiana and believe this is a free country so no one should be force to join a union because there is a union where they work. I am for the bill. I am writing my congressman and gov. today to show my support for the bill.
    KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 9:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2011