Positive fFN test --did you deliver early?

I was 29 weeks on last Thursday night when I went into L&D for preterm labor symptoms: some contractions, LOTS of pressure (like the baby was going to fall out) and blood-tinged mucus discharge. They did several tests, including a fetal fibronectin (fFN) test, which came back positive and checked me for dilation. I was already dilating (1cm) and effacing (50%) so they kept me for 2 nights. They gave me some steroid shots to help the baby's lungs mature just in case.

The resident had me freaked out, saying "This + fFN means you are VERY likely to deliver in two weeks", but my own OB just told me a -fFN tells them more than a + and that I could still carry to term, but they have me on bed rest and I am now considered high risk for early delivery.

Anyone else had a +fFN and go all the way to term?

Pieta0227

Asked by Pieta0227 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had the exact same thing! I was 5 months pregnant with twins. I went on strict bed rest. A week later they tested me again and it still turned positive. I then remained on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. They ended up having to induce me since the medication they gave me seemed to completely stop my contractions (even the braxton hicks). So it is very possible you will be fine with bed rest. So it can go either way!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2011