What to do this summer with my teenager?

My son is going to be 16 (yikes! 16 years old!!) this summer. What are some good vacation things to do with him? We go on vacation every summer. Usually it's him, my parents, an aunt, 2 cousins (49 and 13), and myself. What should we do?

austinsmom95

Asked by austinsmom95 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Where are you going? ask your son what he wants to do. What are his interests? take that into account. Does he like music? take him to a concert. We take our son to concerts all the time by i know alot of parents don't like the music thier kids like but even if you don't you can still do it. I guess it all depends where your going.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• What do you like to do? Beaches? Touristy stuff? a combo?

I go on road trips to the LA area with my kids. Last year we went hiking in Moab, Utah, hung out and saw sights in Las Vegas, spent a week in LA doing things ranging from the beach to whale watching cruise. On the way back to Denver we went to Sequoia NP and Mt. Whitney and spent 2 days exploring Death Valley.

This year I think we spent a week in Hawaii.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• At 16 I stopped having family vacations. I got a job as a mother's helper. Your son is old enough to get a part time job, working in a grocery store, at the movies, etc. But if you are going on vacation resorts are great because they have something for everyone or a cruise. Living in the Northeast I have lots of places within a 5 hours drive. We can go to Boston, Wash. DC, Philly and NYC is only 30 miles away. Mt. Tremblaunt in Canada was great. In summer there are a lot of things to do.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• DC
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yosemite Valley.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Come to Chicago! We have beaches, museums, two MLB teams, awesome (and free) festivals. You don't need a car to get around. It is an incredibly teen-friendly city. The two teens can safely go off on their own.

Send me a message if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011