How often can they get the sex wrong?

I keep having nightmares that they got it wrong that my baby isn't a girl, that she isn't little Annora.. but a boy.. how often are these things flubbed?

Punkslilncs

Asked by Punkslilncs at 9:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• well with my second dd they told me she was going to be a boy, then they decided to do anther ultrasound and said it looks like it May be a girl. i was like well yeah it is either a boy or girl duh what do you think it was a space alien? i was not in a good mood that day. when i got ready to push i looked at hubby and doctor and said 100 percent this baby is a girl i feel it. my oldest she hid crossing her legs hubby kept saying i hear girls like to hide so it must be a girl lol
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It can happen, but generally they're spot on.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I worked in a maternity ward for 7 years and saw this happening very often, but today's tests are more accurate than ever.

Answer by older at 9:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I've had this happen to two of my friends just within the last two years!!
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Depends on the experience of the ultrasound tech. A penis is pretty hard to miss, so rarely are they wrong when it comes to boys, although it HAS happened...but the tech told me it was unlikely because it's relatively easy to see the little turtle shape. Girls are more tricky. To tell if it's a girl you are supposed to look for three parallel lines, which shows the outer labia creases... some tech's say girl if they can't find a penis, but unless you see those three lines you shouldn't say it's a girl because occasionally, if they bab is turned just right, you can miss it. USUALLY lack of penis means girl...since like I said, a willy is easier to see...but unless you also see the girl parts, it's not 100% accurate. The guy who did my ultrasound with dd, I later found out, is only right about 50% of the time. So it really depends on the skill of the person working the ultrasound.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i forgot to mention that there was a baby born when youngest was , the dad was flipping out because it was not a boy it ended being a girl so he told my husband i got to go home return all the boy clothes and get the girl clothes. it happens do not stress mommy you will be fine and as soon as you lay your eyes on your baby you will not care because it is your pride and joy
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Every mother wants a healthy baby, but it is okay to hope for a certain gender.. I just had another ultra sound today and she most def is a girl.. the heart issues she is having though.. those are something I wasn't expecting. They hope to put her on a fetal echo and see how she is doing.
    Punkslilncs

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Have you tried the over the counter test? http://www.intelligender.com/

I bet you could ask the doctor to do another US to be sure...
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2011