Discipline issue

Do your pre-teens or teens bring home their graded papers and tests from school on their own honor or do you have to get them from the teachers? What do you do for discipline to get the papers and tests etc. home by your own child??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was always on top of school stuff, and when that happened they got grounded for some time.

Answer by older at 9:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• They come home every Wednesday. I stay in constant contact with the teachers. Never had to punish for that. As older suggested, maybe ground them, or take things away.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• As long as I know that they tried their best and were able to bring up the grade on the next test,I also worked with them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I see them on line. I can often ask about a test, paper or project grade before they are fully in the car. But they get really good grades, so they are usually quite excited about reporting back to me.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:52 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Find a reward system that works. Explain to your child that you'd like to see all papers on a daily basis so that if he/she needs help, you can offer that. You might try a small monetary reward at the end of the week according to his/her age. The reward should go in a special bank/fund to be saved for something that he/she really wants. In addition to teaching the value of money, you will be giving him/her something to look forward to while teaching him/her to save, be trustworthy, and seek help if needed. Be receptive of all work, bad as well as good, in a positive way. Check in with the teacher(s) at the end of each week to see if your child is indeed bringing all papers home. Once your child continues to do the right thing, you might want to "up the ante". (I am a retired Teaching Assistant in a public school system where the emphasis was on positive, rather than negative reinforcement.) Good luck!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 10:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011