So what's the problem with going Anonymous?

I know this has come up before, but seems there's a new wave of members having issues with people posting or answering anonymously.

It seems that many feel more comfortable about being open with their responses when they post or answer anonymously. Seems to make for more interesting discussions in my book.

what exactly is it about it that irritates some so? If someone is 'hiding', then whatever. why not focus on what is being said than calling someone on the fact that they are posting anonymously?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in About CafeMom

• The fact that some hide behind it to make  nasty  remarks and rude comments.

Answer by older at 9:35 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• That is one reason that older has stated. BUT, I have seen more people who aren't anon be just as rude, if not worse.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• even so, why do so many care so much? I've seen plenty of comments posted non-anonymously and they aren't called.
    post a comment without your screen name and someone is automatically on you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with Christine0813
    Anonymous

• " I've seen plenty of comments posted non-anonymously and they aren't called. "

Sometimes those people are called in their private messages or chatterboxes. Hasn't happened to me yet.

I feel that if you're going to make a comment, you need to have the guts to put your name on it. Anonymous comments are the equivalent of painting graffiti.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Some people can be a bit controlling. They feel that they should tell others what to do. I post anonymously (no pic) for my security. The last thing that i need is for someone that I know to see my pic then start spreading my private thoughts around to my family or friends.

One woman questioned why I joined CM. I've never posted anything rude and I've never bothered her. I just answered sweetly and left it at that.
    You can't please everyone.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I just think its strange when the question answered anon is totally harmless. I asked a cooking question once and had 2 people answer anon. Its just cooking, no deep personal thoughts or feelings required. I don't really care, just kind of odd.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Im not sure
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 9:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Agree with this statement ------->I have seen more people who aren't anon be just as rude, if not worse.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• There are times when I would like to voice my opinion; however, I also have a life in the real-world...a life in the education field. And I sure don't want any people I know IRL to necessarily know my opinion, thoughts, etc. on things that are not appropriate to share with them (e.g. sex, relationships, etc.). To me, that doesn't make me a coward, it's simply a way of protecting my identity in my real life.

For example, my DH is a teacher and I am finishing up my internship in a school. If I want to leave a comment about some of a sexual nature, I don't want the whole world knowing it, especially given that parents of students can see what I'm writing or saying. Those things can be used against me in my job.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2011