Driving a car

This may not be the right category to post

I saw someone had posted in an earlier post,
"every woman should know how to drive a car"

If someone does not want to learn to drive, they should not have to. Don't you think that it is better if less people are driving, and those that are scared to drive stay off the road?

I am NOT advocating for people driving a car with out learning, that's not what I'm saying. I merely think that people who are not ready to drive (whether they be 16, 30, or 60) should not be pressured into it.

I personally drive, but my dad's wife does not feel confident enough to be on the road.

Opinions?

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't really have an opinion on whether or not everyone should be required to know how to drive.

I do, however, think that everyone with a DL should know how to drive a stick. My cousin ended up stranded at a party with a bunch of drunks because the only car there was a stick, and she couldn't do it....
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• That's a good point. I lived in germany, and there is actually two separate driving tests. One for automatic cars, and one for stick shift.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

•   ok, well im 28 and i have not learned enough about driving to actually get into a car and drive it around town, so i do not have my license, imtoo scared to be driving around, it is a  privilege, but i havent really had the enthusiasm or courage

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm glad you can be honest about it americansugar80.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• neither my mother or my mil drive which is probably for the best,but that makes me the one to do whatever they may need the store,dr. appts. etc and with a family of my own it kids kinda hectic trying to split up what very little time i already have. but i agree if they are not driving there is probably a reason for it. there are alot of people out there already that are on the road and really shouldn't be
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I believe that driving should be (like it currently is) a priviledge. However, I also think that every woman needs to be responsible about herself. The ability to drive is essential part of surviving in many of our cities, especially if life takes a sudden change. A woman may find herself with no more than just her own two feet to survive. Also, I believe that every woman should have her own credit score and checking account as well (separate from her husband).
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My sister lives out of town with 3 LO and does not drive. She expects everyone, including my not so healthy mother to take her around town. I believe the main reason she does not learn is because she doesnt have to go anywere with her kids by her self. (If you knew her you would agree,)
    She is totally dependant on others and she wants to keep it like that. Being a mother I think she should have to. But if they are genually afraid then no they should not have too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• YES! if your not comfortable or ready or scared, then GET OFF the road. I get so sick of dealing with people who cannot drive and basically have NO business driving. They cause accidents and generally do not think when driving. If they can't handle it, then its fine. Driving under certain situations can be hard and stressful. I can accept that not everyone is equipped for it. They do need to make arrangements to get their stuff done with help of other people. I am sure thats possible.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If they someone is afraid to drive I don't want them on the road. Driving is not for everyone. Some people cannot drive and shouldn't drive. Since driving is a privilege and not a right only those who are competent and want to should drive.

Anonymous

• I think everyone who is old enough should know the basics and they should make a point to practice - even if it's a once a month Sunday drive on a desserted back road.

In an emergency, who will drive the car? You never know what life will throw at you. To me, this falls under the "be prepared" category.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008