Seriously? Why does looking good imply that one doesn't have any brains?

I ask this because of a response to another post and I was irritated by it. Women are so catty and I can't see why just because someone looks good...that they don't have any brains. Women are so jealous and it drives me nuts. And if a woman thinks she looks good then she is conceited...how about it's confidence!

response I'm refering to:
" People call us "Barbie & Ken""

In my experience, that's not a compliment.... implies looks and no brains.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I do not believe that. Today good looking and smart go together. Sexy or cutesy means trashy or dumb. There is a difference.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• First thought that came to mind, was maybe because people think, all they do is spend time on their looks (instead of learning or whatever).
    I don't personally believe that, but it's just a thought. But if the above is the case, then I must really be smart! lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• tell me about it. people don't expect me to be smart, and then they talk to me for a while and realize that i'm very intelligent. i have a 172 iq and i'm studying pre med. you can be smart and good looking.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It doesn't, you can be very good looking and be a twit, and you can be ugly as hell and be super smart.

Answer by older at 9:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• older i think what you mean to say is "you can be good looking and be super smart, and you can be ugly as hell and be a twit"
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I guess it irritates me because I've had people surprised that I'm smart (I'm a nursing assistant and have a GPA of 3.9) and I'm tall, skinny, and blonde...so they assume I'm stupid...then are proved wrong.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• momo, it can go both ways too.

Answer by older at 9:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I've run into the same thing. Family members call me stuck up because I wear clothes around the house that they consider fit for shopping. Just because I don't live in sweat pants with holes make me conceited.

Sometimes the bimbo comments come from clothes that many consider to be bad taste.
    But then all taste are different, so who knows
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

Why does the way you look have to mean ANYTHING about how smart you are? I like to think I'm sexy and I'm not trashy or dumb. I hate steriotypes! And sexy doesn't mean dressing like a whore...
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• older the question is "why do good looks = stupid". the point is to convey that you can have looks and brains. you conveyed the opposite by what you said
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2011