How can I get more when I pump?

UGH I hate pumping! I feel like a dang cow milking its self and I dont get hardly anything out!! My nipples feel like they are about to fall off and I have only gotten an ounce! Ugh! How can I get more?

AmberNicoley

Asked by AmberNicoley at 10:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried massaging your breast while pumping? Or putting a warm wash rag on your breast? These things helped me out. And one once is good.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Have you tried hand expressing instead of the pump? Are you taking herbal supplements to augment your milk supply?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would suggest taking fenugreek or drinking Mother's Milk tea. An ounce is good if your child is still feeding as well. I suggest this book to everyone, but if you don't have a copy of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding GET ONE
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Google biofeedback and relaxation techniques.

Do you have a picture of your baby with your pump? Can you use your cellphone to take a short video of your baby and watch that when you start pumping?

Letdown/milk production is emotional. That's why pumps suck. When nursing the baby, you look at the baby and feel love and then BAM! your milk lets down. Let's face it, you don't feel love when you look at the pump. Even worse, you could be feeling pressure.

Get a pic or video (or heck, even audio) of your baby and use that when you first start pumping.

Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 12:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• massage your breasts a little before pumping, that should help some.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 1:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i heard oatmeal works wonders
    Evilfelly07

Answer by Evilfelly07 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• eat oatmeal!!! :)
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Several things will govern how much you pump out when you pump like, how long ago was your last feeding/pumping off that breast, a milk duct infection, not being able to relax, the pump.

If you just got done feeding you will not get that much off that breast, I developed mastitis with my first and my milk production went from 6 oz to 1 oz over night. If you are uncomfortable with pumping or you clinch up because it is going to hurt then you aren't relaxing which prevents your milk from dropping, try relaxing. I have a medela breast pump that allows me to adjust the pumping speed so when my breasts are sore I don't have to pump at the standard speed I just dial it down.

When your pumping pay attention to whether you feel your milk let down, if it does and you still have problems you can try, messaging your breast or try drinking 1 beer to help relax you. Remember to drink plenty of water. Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Thanks everyone I'll keep at it and try all your helpful hints
    AmberNicoley

Comment by AmberNicoley (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011