First time dog owner here

almost... we are getting a puppy soon.

what do you think is best.... let puppy out to potty, take kids to school, take puppy for long walk OR take puppy for short walk, take kids to school, take puppy for long walk.

any helpful hints on bringing puppy home or schedules that work let me know! thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Where is the puppy going to be when you're taking the kids to school?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• As long as u have a fenced in yard,let the little pup run and have fun! I would make sure puppy is safe indoors before I take the kids to school. U can always get up a little earlier to let puppy out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• we just got a new puppy and when i walk my daughter to the bus stop i put him out side with the other dogs and then let him in when i get back and every half hour i say do you need to go potty and let him out and say good job when he dose his job out side if you have any questions fill free to message me
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 10:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You are going to have to figure out what works best for you, but be prepared for little accidents until you get it down pad. How exciting, there is nothing like a new puppy and puppy breath!

Answer by older at 10:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• When Puppies are young you can't expect them to go on long walks. While you are house breaking the pup short trips outside are best. As the pup gets older and gets used to the leash you can start going on walks. I would keep them short in the beginning though. If you just put the pup outside when you are trying to house break him you will have no idea if the puppy actually went or was just playing.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would take the puppy out first thing in the morning and make sure it pees and poops. Then you can take it for a longer walk when you get back. As far as other advice... Feed the puppy a high quality puppy food (large breed puppy if needed). Brands like Pedigree, Purina, Iams, etc are NOT high quality. Put the puppy on a feeding schedule feeding 2 to 3 times per day. Look at the feeding guide on the food and divide the amount into how many feedings you are doing. Also put it on a potty schedule...first thing in the a.m., about 10 mins after eating or drinking, after naps, I also like to take mine out about every 30mins to hour in between, and one last time before bed. If you haven't already, get a crate and start crate training right away. Anytime you can't fully supervise, put it in the crate. Dogs don't like to mess where they sleep. It'll also keep them from chewing things they shouldn't.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:35 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• crafting..... in the house.
    dancer.... im nervous to leave the puppy outside... maybe when he is older but we back up onto a canyon with coyotes

kylie.... GREAT points!
    colin... thanks!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• First off, take your puppy for a long walk before even entering the house for the first time. It gives them the feeling of migrating to a new home which is more natural and they're less likely to be nervous once they're moved in. I suggest out to potty, then breakfast, and a long walk after the kids are at school to wear them out so they'll be more relaxed and will probably listen and learn better.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2011