Does your child have a comfort item?

Does your child have a comfort item? What is it? Do they want it all the time, or just bed time, when they are sick etc...? Is there any reason to try and "ween" them away from this object?
My son has a 12"x12" blanket type stuffed animal. He has always slept with it but just recently he has become more attached. We do not let him take it out of the house unless it is to daycare so he can have it at nap time. He turned two in November and that is probably about the time he started to have a real attachment to it.

J.P

Asked by J.P at 10:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with both of mine, it was their blankets
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 10:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• dd sucks her two fingers (pointer & middle). She is five and very rarely does it any more!
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• All of mine have blankets... Daniel is 8 and although he doesnt carry it it is on his bed and comes out in times of real stress. my 5 yr old lost intrest in hers and my 2 yr old has blankies and DONT touch them!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My 4 yr old used to have to have his two blue baby blankets with him all the time (had to buy an identical one once when I forgot it on a trip) until he was around 3. Now he just has to have them to sleep.

My 19 month old has a stuffed Mickey Mouse that he has to have to sleep with. He calls it Meemee.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My 2 year old has a "blanket bear" (sounds like what your son has). He only wants it at bedtime now and when he isn't feeling good. My now 11 yo had an Elmo that he carried everywhere. When he started preschool (at 3 yo) we would stick it in his backpack before we went inside and then as soon as we got outside he would pull it back out (I told him Elmo wasn't allowed at preschool!). He dropped it himself around 4 (although don't tell anyone, but he's still tucked in between his bed and the wall!). It didn't do any harm and I don't see any reason to worry about it with my 2 yo. It definitely helps when we go on vacation that he has a comfort item!

Answer by missanc at 10:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• 5 year old... Stuffed animal dog, he named "Sparky" like on "Little Bill"

3 year old... baby blanket I made him
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son will be 2 in June and LOVES is binkey.... it's horrible, he has to have it to sleep. I'm trying to wean him off of it but it's been very hard. He didn't get this attachment until about 7 months, after I stopped breastfeeding.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son had a pillow pet monkey for a long time... but he's been replaced now by "puff" a little stuffed dragon he sleeps with. He carries puff around the house... but we don't let him bring him along anywhere unless we are traveling and spending the night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• my 3 year old has a binky and elmo blanket and when she is sick she has to have it all the time no matter what if we go out she has to have it she has to have it all the time
    proudmom487

Answer by proudmom487 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• my son loves his fleece blanket
    Evilfelly07

Answer by Evilfelly07 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011