Q for TVless families.

What do you and your family do besides boardgames and read? My son decided to bust my TV yesterday while I was on the phone with AT&T and never heard it happen. We're not in a hurry to buy another one cause we can always watch my shows online and we're trying to save money. Though because we didn't have a TV yesterday we were able to go to the stores and get home improvement stuff bought to do around the house. All except 1 thing. lol. :)

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 11:09 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I hope u taught him a lesson with consequences for his actions!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Try some new hobbies. Crochet or knit, draw, paint etc. Try out some new recipes. If you're able to get out of the house, visit the park, the library, museum, join a meetup group. Listen to music, dance around the house, exercise. Have fun!
    smurfyabs

Answer by smurfyabs at 11:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have a small tv in my home office I turn on maybe once every 2 mos (no cable, so only a couple stations anyway), so we are practically tv-less. For news and movies, we just use the internet and Netflix.

We decided to raise our daughter without tv or movies for the first 5 years, and it has worked just fine for us. Tess is 3 now, and she LOVES books. She also does a lot of art (coloring, tracing, cutting). She also spends a lot of time with her dolls and stuffed animals, her play kitchen, and lots of other activities that use her imagination. She has very few electronic games.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• @ dancer that's not an answer to my question. Nor is it of your concern, but yes I did. Still purging through some toys and now he's without watching movies and stuff.
    SparklingHope

Comment by SparklingHope (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yeah...he sort of got some natural consequences out of that one, didn't he? lol

We play outside, go hiking, go for bike rides. We write, serve the community, and garden. It's amazing how much more productive you find yourself becoming when you let go of/break and don't replace the idiot box. I'd been begging for YEARS to let the television go, but my husband would not hear of it. Nearly 2 years ago I accidentally (it seriously WAS an accident) threw a Wii remote through the LCD (because we'd lost a strap and I gave my cousin the one WITH a strap, so that if there were an accident only I would be at fault)...Anyway, I convinced my husband at that time to just try life without one. It's been so great! For Christmas his parents bought us a television (presumably because when they visit they can't bear being without a television) but we haven't hooked it up to cable or satellite. We have it for the Wii and Family Movie Night.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• That's the only thing, we have a Wii. So depending on the damage that the TV place estimates if it's worth fixing we might either fix the TV cause the flat screen is cracked. You only see the crack when the TV is on though. Hopefully it's just the screen he messed up and we'll be able to replace it..but if not we're gonna buy an analog tv just for the wii purpose. Thanks for all the ideas so far everyone!
    SparklingHope

Comment by SparklingHope (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011