Do you just let anybody watch your kids?

I can't go into detail right now because my break is just about to end, but I was just curious about how picky you are about who takes care of your children. I will fill in more information as time permits.

Edit: Just quickly to add, the reason I ask, is because I saw someone post somewhere (not on CM) asking if anyone could watch her newborn when she went back to work. It kind of just made me think "Uh, you're just going to ask ANYONE?" Yeah I am EXTREMELY picky about who watches me child. I thought it was a given that everyone was that way, but then you hear horror stories about some places where a child is serious injured and find out that the person watching wasn't even licensed or whatever. I'm not opposed to daycares at all, but I sure am picky about which one I send my son to.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Ahhh, no.

Typically, if they kids aren't with DH or I, they're with my parents. A few times one of my oldest and dearest friends has watched them. Once or twice, one or the other child stayed with their friends (watched by their parents, obviously) for some reason or another. Now that they're older, I'd be willing to have the right teenage babysitter stay with them. However, it has to be the right person - someone we know and would feel could handle the responsibility of our DD's food allergies. A friend of mine, for example, trains nurses and other medical professionals on CPR. She makes sure her teen daughter is also trained in CPR and first-aid. I'd be comfortable with her watching DD because I know she at least has some background that would make her more comfortable taking the responsibility of an EpiPen, for example.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No....I dont trust many people with my child. Im not a fan of someone who has never had kids or was never around them to take care of mine. Friends that I have had for a while im ok with and family.....and even then I wouldnt let just anyone in my family take him.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am extremely picky. My son is 17 months old and has only ever been watched by my parents and my MIL. It'll stay that way for a while.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No, i don't let just anybody watch my kids. That is dangerous.

Not many people watch her actually, we rarely have babysitters. She is 9 now & if i need a sitter, I'll usually call her best friend's mom & ask if she can spend the night. We help each other out like that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• uh no i have a major issue with who watches my kids....there whole life its only been my parents, my sister or my SIL/brother.......i have issues leaving them at school lolol
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yeah, I just let anyone off the streets watch my kid. Come on, seriously? NO, I am picky and only let certain people watch my kid. There are family members that I don't even let watch my kid. Even when he was in day care, I knew the providers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I only let my mom watch him if I absolutely have to. She is the only one I trust with my son
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 11:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I only leave my children with my sister, my mother, my long-time best girlfriend, or their other grandparents. The only other time they are not with family is when they are in school. I just don't feel comfortable trusting their livelihoods with anyone else.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No. He has 6 uncles, 2 aunts, 2 grandmas, a grandpa, & Godparents. There is no need to ever have to leave him with a sitter (that's not family).
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No way. The only people that have watched my kids are my parents, my 2 cousins, my brother and his girlfriend (once) and my BFF. Other then that, I don't trust anyone. We let my SO's brother watch our son when he was around 8 months old, so we could go to my Grandpa's wake. Came home to my son hyperventilating in the hallway pounding on our bedroom door, my SO's brother was in the garage smoking. His girlfriend was sitting on the couch eating Ice Cream. No one was even watching him, or could see him. I was PISSED.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 22, 2011