Do u think unions protects slackers at the work place ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• This won't be a popular answer, esp since I am from Detroit where automaking is king, but yes I think unions protect the weakest link. I think this is true in both auto and teachers unions. One for all and all for one lets individuals who would not otherwise stay on the job lock in for like no matter what the performance.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, and I come from a huge union family. I even did work in the laborers union and saw what a mess it really is. They are all just a bunch of lazy, alcoholic, drug users... They want work, and then when they have it they drag their feet so the jobs last longer, and then there's only a few that actually work their ass off, while the others hide out, goof off, etc... Then they get laid off and draw unemployment so they can stay home and get paid...... Sorry, it's a sore subject for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes...
    myheartflys

Answer by myheartflys at 11:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ~*YES*~... Unions are why we have really crappy teachers... because even if they abuse kids they cannot be fired unless a person YouTubes them???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• my BIL is in the union, he's a druggie, lazy...he's best at construction things but even my dh won't ask him for help when it comes to working on the house. when they don't have a job for him, he sits at the house all day and collects unemployment. i don't know how he's at work...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think there is a time and a place for union protection, however, I think most industries do not need union protection right now. There are safety laws in place, so that should be an issue. I do not believe that state workers need unions anymore, it doesn't make the workplace better, it just allows slackers to keep their jobs for years on end. I also don't believe we need teacher unions and I am pro-teacher. What I would like to see in a reinvestment in the American family which would bring about change in how we view the family, children, schools, teachers, health care, adjunct teaching staff and the entire childcare industry.

If we changed our worldview to include a true sense of community, perhaps all of these areas would be fully funded and equally available to all who seek them out?
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 12:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• there isn't just 1 hard answer. yes, in certain cases. unfortunately, there are people that know that they are safe so they don't as hard as they should. but there are hard working union members also.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No!!!! If they r being counter productive,then,they need to get fired!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It depends on the union. The union is only as strong as it's members. Coming from Wisconsin where the idiot govenor is trying to get rid of all unions except those that support him, I have issues with this question. And the unions don't always protect everyone, the Chrysler in my city shut down and over 500 people lost their jobs. Many factories with unions are leaving the US and moving overseas because the labor is cheaper. The union I am in protects no one!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2011