What's your favorite athiest quote? adult content

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 11:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• ~*Hmm*~... I'll be following this one, curious... because there are so many religions, I even love quotes from Ghandi, Buddah, and other religions! I don't think I've seen any that are purely Athiest... well, other than the bashing ads that were on the sides of buses, but that doesn't count
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• This is one I like:
    “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” ~Stepehn Roberts
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• "Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color." - John Buchan
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. – Gene Roddenberry
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• That's a toughie. Maybe the quote by Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space, from his orbit over the earth "I don't see any god up here." Or Dan Barker's view of faith, "Faith is a cop-out. It is intellectual bankruptcy. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it cannot be taken on its OWN merits." But I may like James Randi's simple statement that, "No amount of belief makes something a fact." Or Gary Sloan's terse observation that, "Science not only hasn't found god, it isn't even looking for him." Oh! Just too hard to choose.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I can see this question easily turning into an atheist bashing post:( I hope that doesn't happen.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Atheist quotes:
    "God created man in his own image. And man, being a gentleman, returned the favor."~Rousseau

"You know your god is man-made when he hates all the same people you do."~[from Usenet]

A couple other non-theism quotes (like Naturalistic Pantheism):

A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.~Carl Sagan

cont'd
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• "Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
    -George Carlin
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• A human being is part of the whole called by us universe ... We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive.~Albert Einstein

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• "The difference between theism and nontheism is not whether one does or does not believe in God....Theism is a deep-seated conviction that there's some hand to hold...Non-theism is relaxing with the ambiguity and uncertainty of the present moment without reaching for anything to protect ourselves...Nontheism is finally realizing there is no babysitter you can count on."~Pema Chodron (on Buddhism)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011