What do you do when ur 3 year old pitches fits?

my 3 year old pitches fits she will hit me throw her self in the floor and just scream i put her in time out but it does not work any one know anything eles i can try

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ignore the fit and wait until she is calmed down to talk with her. You cannot punish her when she is upset, it will not work. Just tell her that when she is calmed down, you will talk and then walk away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I either walk away and not feed into it or if he is doing it where I can't walk away, I take him in his room and let him throw a fit in there. I explain to him that throwing a fit isn't going to get him what he wants and Mommy and Daddy really don't want to listen to it. He then calms down after a couple minutes and he's fine.

Just don't feed into it. It will just make it worse. ;o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 11:37 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I spanked for it, and the habit was very quickly broken.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:37 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I read an article years ago and it worked. When my son did that at 4 I got on the floor and had a fit with him. When he asked me what I was doing I said I thought that was what we were supposed to do. It only took twice and never again. Good luck.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ~*Walk Away*~... giving it attention is still attention, which teaches them the behavior is alright...

Hard, trust me, I know first hand since I spoil all three of my children (which is bad in its self)... but it is a control issue, and if they can twist you into giving into them.... they win!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with tyfry7496
    when the LO did this I gave her space. Eventually she wore herself out with the fit then calmed down.

if you're looking to try and stop a 3 year old from throwing fits in the first place, can't help you there! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Put her in her room, close the door and walk away. Hissy fits are for attention. If you ignore it she will stop and calm down.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:53 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Same as I do with all my kids - I've done it since they were about 18 months and I still do it with my 9yo - send them to their room til they can calm down. If they don't go willingly, I physically take them to their room and shut the door. They are told they can come out when they can be calm.
    Anonymous

• dont feed into it. my kids do the same thing and i send them to their room until they calm down enough to talk to them
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011