Is it current events because we talk about it, or do we talk about it because it's on the news, masquerading as current events?

Mackenzie Phillips has been on the Today show all day doing follow up interviews about her silly book and her revelations about sleeping with her father for years. (apparently Dr. Drew fixed her and she's a victim now). The people writing behind the scenes tell alls about Sarah Palin are fighting with each other (in the news) over who leaked who's book. Charlie Sheen is a train wreck (and happily does radio interviews about it). Fergie (the royal one, not the BEP one) isn't invited to the wedding. Snookie wrote a book, and based on the excerpts that've been published, all by herself, with no help from anyone who knows anything about grammar or structure (or class).

Do we REALLY care about this stuff, or do we talk about it because they keep putting it on the news, making it seem like so many people care that we need to know? Do people watch those shows and read the gossip rags because they really care, or because they're there?

Quick poll - raise your hand if you honestly care whether or not Phillips slept with her father, what Palin was like behind the scenes, or who gets to go to the wedding.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• *hand not raised*

I wonder who is wagging the tail of the dog all the time just like I wonder if we ever really landed on the moon.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It's entertainment, not current events. Current events would be natural disasters, political and government issues, eduction, healthcare, war, and people doing GOOD THINGS FOR OTHER PEOPLE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The lines are blurred between entertainment and news- I am all for the feel good story about the local hero but this making a celebrity out of the yuck in our society makes me sick-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You don't see the value in someone who suffered horrible sexual abuse and drug abuse at the hands of her father speaking out? ...ashame

Sarah Palin has put herself and her family out there like that with her reality shows and paid gossip rag spreads...on multiple occasions.

Charlie Sheen is a celebrity...but drug abuse is certainly a current event

Snooki is BFF's with John McCain now...blame him for stoking that ORANGE flame. (she's more cultural current event)

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I couldn't care less.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Hmm. I did run the Fergie story on Sunday night because I thought it was interesting. And metered ratings at my TV station do show that the fluff stuff attracts viewers, especially in the mornings. (The two biggest ratings winners I had in the morning news from October to January were storm coverage and the Chippendales men.)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Not to pick-but this bugs me- are you using ashame the verb in place of "a shame"? I have been trying to figure that out for a while because it comes up in so many of your posts.

Verb

to ashame (third-person singular simple present ashames, present participle ashaming, simple past and past participle ashamed)

1. (transitive, rare) To make ashamed.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• should be A shame...as in thats a shame

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think it's a little of both. Do we REALLY care about some of this stuff, no, but is it interesting enough to watch a few minutes of and maybe see how others feel about it, sure. It may not all be what you would consider "current events" but I guess anything happening in the world could be considered current events....

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• LOL. um...I really don't know much of what you are talking about. I ONLY read news online- I will NOT watch it on tv, even the free antenna tv, because they cover violence and baby murders and it gives me nightmares. I only read politics- I can DO something about that. So, no, I don't think any of that is news.

Snooki wrote a book? That's an oddly fascinating train wreck.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011