Need help - how do I start potty training?

My DD will be 3 end of July, and she's not even potty trained yet! I didn't bother to start because of her delayed speech, but now her speech is developing with her age, and I must start to potty train now. Any tips, help, hints? PLEASE!!!!!!

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just start taking her every hour. You might try rewarding her somehow if she stays dry for an hour and then uses the potty. Give her extra rewards if she poops. This is working really well with our 2 1/2 year old grandson. He seldom gets candy so his rewards are Skittles, which he loves.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• First of all accept the fact that it is a hard task. My 3 1/2 year old son has peed in his big boy underwear once today already!!! LOL!!! Honestly we have tried EVERYTHING, but my husband and I agree we do not want to "traumatize" him so we are taking it one day at a time. I have the potty watch, the potty that talks, potty seats, charts & stickers. We have bribed him beyond belief with toys and candy. NADA!!! Take a deep breath, realize this is not a reflection upon your parenting skills because the bottom line is this: they are in control and know it. & I think there's probably a lot of power in that for a 3 year old. Be patient but firm. Be encouraging. By some books, like Elmo Learns To Go to the Potty which is interactive. I sit him on the toilet and sit with him and read, even if nothing happens at least he knows what the bathroom looks like!!!!! My tip is to be realistic. Good Luck!!!
    tammyk1122

Answer by tammyk1122 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• honestly i am glad to hear im not the only one going through this! my 2 year old was delayed in speech also, shes 26 months now and her speech is developing with her age too. although we have a while til she turns 3, i have had zero success with her on the potty. she knows what & where it is, and its purpose, she just hasnt gone. i have tried taking her every half hour and letting her sit for about 5 minutes, then rewarding her even just for sitting on it with a goldfish cracker, and did this for several days in a row and got nothing out of her! she was excited about it and all but she just never went. and i tried putting panties on her and she would end up peeing in them and coming to me afterward. shes just honestly not ready yet, as much as i wish she were LOL. it is normal for some kids not to be potty-trained til up to 4 years old. hang in there mama!!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011