What to do when my 13 year old want listen and help clean

i have a 13 year old all she wats to do is watch tv she doesnot want to do anything

proudmom487

Asked by proudmom487 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• First, turn off the TV. Then tell her that if she doesn't get up and help, you're removing the TV. Make sure to follow through if you have to.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree. You are in charge of how much TV gets watched. Post a list of family rules and chores that are expected to be done. Along with this make sure you do fun things with her and praise her when she does things right. You could go out to lunch, have your nails done, go bowling, go for a walk, etc. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree its time to turn off the tv. If she isn't doing what is asked, then you take away the thing she wants most...if its tv, computer, phone whatever. Set the rules, tell her what is expected each day and follow through.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• How about an incentive? I pay my kids to clean. I'm talking bathrooms and living areas not just rinsing plates and putting them in the dishwasher or emptying the dishwasher. They use the money they're given to by cloths and eating out. The stuff I'd buy for them anyway. Sometimes they ask for extra chores if they want more money.

This teaches that hard work = reward, it teaches them to budget, and it gives them the freedom to spend their money how they want.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Turn off the TV. If necessary, take the power cords out of the TV, computer, etc.

Then, If she doesn't clean it - YOU clean it and I mean CLEAN IT OUT!! Leave only a few changes of clothes that fit her, nightstand, lamp, dresser, bed, desk for homework. No radio, no chargers (anything that needs charging can be done in the living room), no cell phone, no house phone, no TV, no Computer, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• give incentives so she will start helping clean, and follow through with that. you as her mother, you know what kind of things she likes and dislikes. go do something with her if she helps clean, and make it fun. it will also help you both get to know eachother better and she will be able to go to you more with any problems she is going through.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 3:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Start being the parent and start putting down rules in the household. Its evident that this didn't just happen and changes will not come over night. But as the parent you have to have certain rules in your household and your children have to abide by those rules. I don't see why an incentive has to be established for her to do her chores. As the parent your teaching her how to pick up behind herself and at 13 years old, she shouldn't be rewarded for doing something that must be done.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• First off, turn off the TV, make her earn her TV time by doing cleaning/chores. If she has a tv in her room, remove it. If it is in the family area, you can monitor it better to make sure she is not watching it unless she has earned it. The main thing is set rules and follow through. NO chores means no TV. My son is 14, and he knows that he has to do his chores or he can't play video games or watch TV--and usually he doesn't give me an issue about it. You could give her an incentive, but I usually find out that doesn't work so well-after a while it is like "oh well, I don't want the money anyway."
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• take the t.v away...tell her if she cant help then she wont get to use the t.v radio anything
    111807mom

Answer by 111807mom at 2:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011