Are nuts considered a protein equal to meat?

Can you replace a meat with nuts? So if I wanted to become "vegetarian" can I eat nuts instead of meat?

Asked by CABlonde at 11:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes and they are much healthier for you. Also eat beans. Great source of fiber and protien.

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Protein is found in a lot of foods other than meat. So yes, you can stop eating meat and get your protein from other sources.

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:53 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I get a lot of my protein from nuts, beans and cheese since having lapband surgery and meat being so much harder for me to digest.

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, nuts beans and soy are great sources of protein, so is peanut butter by the way.

Answer by older at 12:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Nuts have a LOT more fat in them than some lean meats. Check that out before thinking it's an equal switch.

• Nuts are a great source of protein but not sure they carry the same amino acids as meat. Plus, they are still high in fat so be careful. Also, stay away from soy as soy is an endocrine disruptor.

• There are awesome plant-based sources of protein: nuts, beans, lentils, tofu, mushroom, etc. You can find a great listing here:

Most Americans actually eat too much protein, and not enough whole grains and vegetables.

I have a ton of meatless recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011