Are there any daycare workers, owners or past employees of a daycare out there?

What do the kids do in a daycare? What's the schedule like? What are the discipline methods used in a daycare? I'm asking because I have 4 children and I figure if I run it like a daycare, where we are moving from one activity to another then things will run a lot smoother in my home. I just need some guidance as to how the routine goes and how to discipline one child, staying in control, while the others are going crazy and doing things they aren't supposed to either.????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• The in-home daycare my kids went to had a loose schedule - tv/wake-up time til 7 or so, breakfast til 8 or so, play time til around 9, quick snack, a craft til 10, another hour of play while she made lunch, lunch at 11 or 11:30, then clean up & rest/nap time til 2/2:30 - if kids were up earlier they could watch tv (PBS). Snack, then "learn thorugh play" til 5, then they played on their own til pick-up. Sometiems they had "learn through play" in the morning, sometimes no craft, sometimes the 2 were switched, some days were 2 crafts or 2 "learn through play" sessions.
    Anonymous

• When I worked in a daycare we had set blocks of time for everything. The kids always had free play time. Then there was circle time, for stories and singing songs, and learning colors, shapes, letters, etc. There was art time everyday, which could be a variety of things. Different toys were brought out on different days too, such as the water table, sand table, building blocks, play doh, etc. There was always 40 minutes of outdoor time. We had a computer center open for the children, a math center, and science center. There was a morning snack which lasted 15 min, Lunch lasted 30, and quiet/nap time lasted 2 hours. Use some of those ideas to create a schedule that would work for your children. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I worked in both a daycare facility and an in home daycare. Same as KairisMama stated the schedules were set in blocks of time, breakfast, play time, structured activity (reading, coloring, singing songs), lunch, nap time (I would typically read the children I was caring for a couple books during this time as well), snack, and free play - typically more structured like playing follow the leader or something of that nature. Arts and crafts were in the morning, various play centers for the children during free time (hot wheels, sand table, blocks, play doh, chalk boards, kitchen sets, tool bench).
    As far as discipline it was always time outs and apologies to who ever they may have hurt or disrespected.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011