Pre-eclampsia

I had pre-eclampsia with my third child and was border line with my second.

My question is, once you have pre-eclampsia one time will you always have pre-eclampsia or worse Eclampsia?

Can it be avoided by a healthier diet, more exercise?

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Just because you had it once doesn't mean you WILL have it again. It only means the odds are higher. Dropping weight, more exercise and healthier eating can go a long way to lowering your risk.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was borderline HELLP with my daughter (my first). I've done a LOT of research on this. Here's what I've found.

1. It's more common with first pregnancies, multiple pregnancies, women over 35 and in African American women.
    2. If you have it once you are more likely to have it again, but it's less likely to happen in subsequent pregnancies than your first.
    3. If your baby has the same father as the one you had pre-e with then it's less likely to happen again.
    4. There seems to be a correlation between PIH and an overactive immune system.
    5. A high-protein diet (particularly the SPUN and Brewer diets) along with moderate aerobic exercise is VERY effective at preventing PIH.
    6. Exposure to your baby's fathers semen is effective at helping prevent PIH. It's thought to condition the overactive immune system not to respond to the father's genetic material. (CONT)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Vaginal exposure is effective and will add the benefits of cervical application of semen (which helps ready your cervix for birth), but ingestion of semen is more effective at preventing pre-e.

I know that sounds really, really weird... but I ate the Brewer Diet, walked often and ingested semen for my second pregnancy and didn't have ANY blood pressure problems.

All of this is from actual studies, not just hear-say. Definately at least look in to the diets and get moderate exercise.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• every pregnancy different..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had Pre-E with my 1st but I didn't have any complications with my 2nd every pregnancy is different. Congratulations and Good Luck. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011