DD is almost 4 and still wearing a pull up at night

How did you get your little ones out of night time pull ups? Is it normal for her to still need it at night time?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• YES,norm
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Normal. Little kids' bodies don't produce the hormone which suppresses urine production at night. When it turns on is genetic.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• my 4 year old still wets the bed atleast 3 times a week! we have a mattress cover over her bed because im not putting her in pullups. i tried doing that when she was 3 (she has been daytime trained since 2 years old) and i noticed a regression with her day-time training if she wore pullups, also, she was wet EVERY morning instead of just a few mornings. so i decided i will just deal with the extra laundry.

what i do though is, wake her up around 11pm before i go to bed and have her go (and also just before her bedtime) and she goes potty and usually wakes up dry with this method. the problem in her case is she sleeps through the urge to go and urinates in her sleep. i had this same problem up until i was almost a teenager.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My DD hasn't ever needed a pull up at night. I used to wet the bed until I was 8 years old, but I had problems with an over active bladder. She's always woken herself up at night to go. But I would say that it is normal for most children that age to still need a pull up at night. I know some 5 and 6 year olds who still wear them. Just depends on the child I guess. No frets, she will grow out of it :)
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I guess that is normal. My daughter has never had night time pullups and stopped wearing them at 2. However, I have friends that have children the same age or older than my 3 yr old still wearing pullups and nighttime pullups.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• So? Some kids bladders aren't ready for it til they're a lot older. There's nothing wrong with needing it for just-in-case overnight. My almost 6-yo still wears them once in a while if she has diarrhea, as does my almost 4yo - we've had poopy accidents in bed. There are plenty of older kids who still need them - that's why they make the good nights or whatever, for older kids. It's nothing to be worred or ashamed about. My nephew is 12 and still wears overnights. He rarely has an accident, but he sleeps better knowing that if he does he'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• Normal. It isn't even considered "bed-wetting" until age 5 or 6.

Seriously, people put infants in diapers and let the infants learn to ignore their natural instincts by wetting/soiling themselves. So for the first couple of years of a child's life, he/she learns to ignore the signs of needing to pee/poo.

It takes more years to relearn these signs.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 12:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Thanks Ladies. DH has 2 grown children and he swears they were out of diapers totally by the age of 2. He just doesnt want to buy them anymore and thinks I need to "get firm" with her about it. To be honest, the though of waking her up at night to pee is frightening. She would never go back to sleep.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• To be honest, the though of waking her up at night to pee is frightening. She would never go back to sleep.

i thought so too the first time i woke her up (this is what my mom started doing with me) and honestly, shes like a zombie at this hour. i have to help her walk to the bathroom, pull her pants up & down for her and walk her back to bed because shes half asleep. she never remembers it in the morning. and is already back to sleep before her head even hits the pillow!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It varies all over the place when a child will be dry at night. My niece's child still wears a pullup and she is 5. My own kids were 6-7 when they were dry at night. And a nephew was older than that and had a prescription nasal spray that helped him.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011