How can i get my 12month old to wean from breastfeeding its geting really frustating and also he needs to start drinking whole milk.

castelpaul

Asked by castelpaul at 11:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thee only way i got my daughter to stop BFing was, i stopped in the daytime, in the daytime, i only gave her a cuppy. nothing else. and for her naps, she had a bottle. as i got the daytime down and she only BF at night, a week later, i stopped cold turkey. so it wasnt to bad for her. but your son will probably give u a hard time at first, but that is expected.
    if you dont want to do that, stop cold turkey for good. my mom helped me out ALOT. cause my DD could smell my milk when i was in the room, so my mom took her from me and tried giving her the bottle. wearing my shirt when she did that helped a lot too. its harder doing it yourself, cause your son will know you have what he wants.
    its not going to be easy. so good luck. it took my daughter 3 days to take the bottle and not me anymore. be prepared. and if u have someone help u, make sure u trust them. cause it can get pretty stressful, and annoying.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 12:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I didn't BF, so I can't help you there. But he doesn't need milk. There is nothing in cow's milk that isn't in your breast milk. (except rBGH and subclinical antibiotics.) If you want to wean because you think it's time and he's ready, than go ahead. But don't wean simply because you think he needs milk. He doesn't.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• No one NEEDS cow's milk. Your milk is still the best liquid for your child. The AAP and WHO recommend nursing until AT LEAST 2 years. Doctors are NOT very educated on breastfeeding and incorrectly tell people their children NEED whole cow's milk at 12 months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Why does he need to start drinking whole milk? Do you really believe that cow's milk is a necessary part of our diets??

What part of breastfeeding is getting frustrating??
    It can be frustrating at times, and it's okay to delay comfort feeds with "in 5 minutes", although at this age he probably won't understand..
    I wouldn't recommend weaning until he's ready, though.. The fact that you're looking for advice on how to wean shows that he probably isn't ready yet.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Start giving him a bottle with lunch for a while, then breakfast for a while, them the night feeding will be the hardest but move it to dinner time so he can just have milk with b-fast lunch and dinner. but he doesn't ever need to stop breastfeeding just give him milk on top of it if you dont want to stop
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Why do you NEED to wean him? Why does he need cow milk? Unless there is some reason to, why not just leave things the way theu are?
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008