Medicine or hormones to help prevent miscarriage?

my friend and her hubby want to start ttc, but she has had a few miscarriages and is scared to try, so she keeps putting it off and telling people different excuses, when the fact of the matter is, she wants a baby but is scared to lose another one...i remember hearing about a hormone or something that they can give you to help out...does anyone know about it so i can pass the info on to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• If she is low on progesterone, I believe that can help....couple to couple league recommend a book called Fertility and Nutrition, I beleive...You can look on their website for the title and it is sold through amazon..
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• She needs to speak with her doctor. You are probably thinking of progesterone but the thing is, that isn't something they just give to anyone. You have to have a history of low levels. Not all miscarriages are caused by low hormone levels. Also just giving someone hormones may not prevent a miscarriage. She needs to discuss options with her doctor. Some doctors don't believe progesterone supplementation works & will not provide it.
    Anonymous

• I would be interested to hear the same answer as I had two miscarriages last year,I have decided to stop trying for now to give my body a rest and to mentally recover.I have two beautiful sons already but my problems are stress related so I have to completely calm before I try again.My docter has told me to have tests on my thyroid gland to see if I have an infection provoked by the last pregnancy, the thyroid could be causing the blood temperature to be too high and thus cause a miscarriage.What ever the reason,I make the most of what I already have and try not to be too obsessed but it's not easy.
    laurainglese

Answer by laurainglese at 12:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Progesterone, and it is only "theoretically" unseful if you have a very short second half of the cycle or low progesterone levels. My doc wrote a script for me, but told me that there isn't enough evidence to prove that it would do anything, but he gives his clients who are bleeding early on the choice because he doesn't want them to start thinking "what if". I chose not to take it, and had a healthy pregnancy.
    The best thing your friend can do is to make sure she has had a very complete physical before getting pregnant to identify if there are any systemic problems, and to be sure to take prenatals for 3 months before conceiving.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i told her to start taking her prenatal vitamins, which she will do...she's been to the doc lately for physicals and such, but she's from indonesia so there is a huge language barrier most of the time, which is why i'm trying to help her get as much info as she can so she knows exactly what to bring up at her appt. thanks for the info ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Most doctor's offices can provide an interpreter as long as the have enough notice before the appointment. That might be helpful as well.
    Anonymous

• The progesterone shots helped me. ( I had low levels to start with and saw a high risk specialist OB.) Selenium is a vitamin that helps reduce the chance of miscarriage. But ask the doctor about correct doseage and understand that neither will guarantee that she won't miscarry again.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Some doctors prescribe progesterone to support a developing pregnancy. However, this isn't a 'fix' to a pregnancy that isn't viable. A lot of early m/cs come from chromosomal issues that simply aren't 'fixable.' However, in some cases a woman's body may have low progesteone levels that can hinder getting pg and staying pg and in those cases progesterone may help.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011