Post C-section question: do you remove the tape before your 1st follow up appt or do you let the doc do it?

I just had my 2nd C-sect on Feb. 10th. The 1st time they put this "rubber cement" type stuff on me to close the wound and it took FOREVER to get off. This time they used staples, and took them out the day I was released, and replaced the staples with pieces of tape. Is it OK for me to remove these??
I only ask because I remember during the C-sect, my doc joking with the others that another patient of hers had left on the tape until the 1st follow up appointment (something I would do, they didn't tell me when it was OK to remove or IF it was even OK to remove) and she was kind of suprised that she had left it on that long. At least I *THINK* this is what they were talking about... the drugs they gave me in the O.R. made me kind of loopy & I'm not sure the tape is what they were talking about or not. Anyway, my follow up is tomorrow and I will be embarassed because I was joking WITH her in the O.R. about it, and here I am with the tape still on. Is it OK to remove??

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• I was told by my OB to leave it on and let them fall off on their own. When I had my first follow-up, all of the tape was there minus one strip.

I know . . . there are a lot of details that we are not instructed about. I would have loved to have left the hospital with a huge manual!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I don't know....Call their office and ask them what you should do...don't be embarrased because it is their fault for not giving you instructions....they should be embarrased instead of making fun of their patients for not knowing wha tto do.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• are they little horizontal strips or one long piece of vertical tape, going the same direction as the scar?

if it is the little horizontal strips, leave them. those are called steri-strips and i had them after my first cesarean. i was told they would come off in the shower and after so many weeks if they hadnt come off i could peel them off myself IN the shower. but i had to wait for my OBs instruction before i could do so.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• LOL@ the huge manual comment. i think it is only appropriate! they send us home acting like we should know this stuff or something!
    tnm786

• ~*ASK*~... the doctor's office

Both times I had mine, it came off in the shower, so I didn't have that issue
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i was told they would fall off on there own and they did other then one and i took that one off myself
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 1:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Let it come off on its own. Mine took awhile but I let it come off on its own anyway.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 1:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• leave the tape on until the appointment. if they didnt tell you to take it off, then do NOT take it off. you may not be fully healed
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 2:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I guarantee you that the OB doesn't remember what she talked to you about in the OR :) I would just leave them on, I don't think I took mine off and it wasn't a big deal, the doc just pulled them off.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I left them on and my OB took them off, his orders were to leave them until I saw him again.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011