Bridesmaids

For those of you that had bridesmaids or have been a bridesmaid, what do you think of the tradition?

Seems like the biggest problems that pop up with weddings step from problems with the attendants. They don't like their dress, they don't get along, or there were others upset that they weren't asked.

That and it can cost you a mint to do it.
I'm questioning why anyone bothers anymore since It seems that most of the time the bridesmaids don't even want to do it, they feel they have to.

what does anyone else think of the tradition?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think it can go away.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was my best girlfriend's bridesmaid last year, and then got bumped up to MOH when the original one dropped out. My girlfriend said she should've asked me from the start. I loved it! My friend was very cost conscious, so she wasn't going to make us (myself and her sister-in-law) spend a fortune on our dresses. I just loved being a part of the whole thing - we made the cake together, we decorated the hall for the wedding, and we just had an overall great time.
    I think if you put too much stress on your attendants, yeah, it'll probably be more of a rough ride, but if you stay as calm and relaxed as you can about everything, it'll be a much better experience for the bride and her maids!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have had them. My cousin was my maid of honor and now we barely talk ... 8 years later :(
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had 7, every single one of them and I still talk. My oldest sister was my moh. I took all that wanted to go, to help pick out their dresses. If someone doesn't WANT to be in your wedding, they shouldn't be,
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was the first in my group to get married. I've since been MOH a few times. Wedding in general are a pain in the you know what. They're stressful and expensive. I hope to one day just attend a wedding where it's just a good time for everyone and we just celebrate the couple getting married. I would love to renew our vows one day. When I do, I won't have bridesmaids, just guests. I would like it to just be fun.
    smurfyabs

Answer by smurfyabs at 2:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I guess it depends on your particular situation, you should only ask good friends or relatives that you really like. It should be a good thing. If there's no one in your life like that, then don't have them. It's not mandatory. Or if you're asked to be one and don't want to or can't afford it, then don't, because that will show through at some time.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I've been one for a couple of friends and really enjoyed it, and had 5 at my wedding. My sister was my MOH, and while we're not super close, it was just the right thing to do, and I think she enjoyed it. She lives far away so didn't do anything for a bachelorette party, shower, etc and I was fine with that. I had asked one of my husband's friends to be a bridesmaid and she said no because she's a wedding coordinator and wanted to help us out that way instead, which was fine with me, I just asked the best man's wife instead and she and I are actually closer now anyway. Except for one of the bridesmaids, they all came from far away and I really appreciated that they traveled and made the effort to be part of our special day. So I guess I'm in favor of the tradition, but I can see how some people wouldn't be...
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have only one attendant, it has worked out great. I think it is crazy when there are more attendants then there are wedding guests.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011