Can my ex find out I am on food stamps?

I had to file with the department of child support enforcement in order to get on food stamps. I was already getting child support through the court but basically, I just had to change to the department of child support enforcement. I didn't tell my dd's father about it because I know he will try to use is against me in court (it prob wouldn't work, but it would be a little embarrassing). Now he has to go down to the department of child support enforcement to fill out some paper work. They know I am on food stamps, are they gonna tell him that? Can they if he asks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• No... All of your info is confidential.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Maybe because it will then be the Department of transitional assistance and you against him and it will list that on the papers. A friend of mine was in a similar situation and all the paper work was Department of Transitional assistance and Jane Doe VS. Deadbeat dad.
    Anonymous

• I don't think he can find out to do confidentiality!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ~*NO*~... your information is PRIVATE!!! However this means that the DAs office will take 100% of your CS, and you get what they choose to, usually only $50 of it... although if it is only foodstamps you might get to keep it... but they want soemone to pay it back, and its usually the ex???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The court won't hold it against you that you fed your children. Utilizing resources (such as FS) shows resourcefulness and that you are a responsible parent. The Court doesn't see that as bad. Keep in mind it also shows dad needs to be making his CS payments to help you get off FS so it makes dad look bad, not you

Answer by admckenzie at 12:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, when he gets his child support notice it will tell him that you(the custodial parent) is receiving aid.

Since it is feeding both of your children and he is getting billed for it, you better beleive that he is going to be told what hes being billed for.

Been there done that.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• in our state, it is not you against deadbeat dad, its state of maine vs deadbeat dad, unless you get your own lawyer, then it wll be you against him.

If the state cant get funds from him they will take everything they consider a privelage in that state. After that if it even gets like that, its up to you to get a lawyer, investigator etc...

Most times the state does a preety good job of tracking the losers down. Facebook seems to be a great way to do that. The interenet is a greta tool.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think your info is confidential so he can't even get any info if you are on foodstamps or not.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• http://www.childsupportoptions.org/options/faq.htm

One hundred percent sure he does find out. I have seen the letter, it accidently came to me., it says here if you get aid, you are reffered to the state to collect, its an option to get your own lawyers investigators too.

If you dont get aid from the state then its you and deadbeat dad.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• its a dead give away when the state is pursining, not so much when a private lawyer is.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011