My cat got spayed 4 days ago and keeps taking off her e-collar. is it too soon to just leave it off? the vet said ten days but she seems so much better! adult content

pagwife55

Asked by pagwife55 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Listen to your vet
    Anonymous

• try putting Vicks on her tummy. She won't want to lick it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would worry about Vicks getting into her stitches...I know they hate the cone of shame but it needs to stay on to prevent infection. Crate her to keep it on if you have to. We had to ours.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Don't put anything on incision site unless the vet tells you to! Take it off and watch her. If she is excessively licking at it she will need to where it. But if she is not really messing with it she should be fine. What find of e-collar did they give you? is it one with loops on it? if so you can loop a collar through it or string and that will help keep it on or the one they gave you is just to big and she needs a smaller size.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• When I said crate by the way I don't mean a little car carrier I meant like a dog crate if you happen to have one.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• don't put vicks...if she odes lick it, it will make her sick...she may be feeling better, but it's so she doesn't lick her stitches...if she licks those out, then there's a problem...the e-collar is too big and they need to fit it differently.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I never had those collars on any of my pets after being fixed.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Depends on the cat if you are with her leave the collar off for a bit if she starts gnawing at her stitches put it back on and when you go to bed or out put it back on her also
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• DO NOT put anything on her incision that is not vet approved! You're asking for an infection or poisoning your cat if you do. If her E-collar is too big or isnt adjusted properly to her size, she'll be able to get to her incision. If you're not sure about that, take her back to your vet & have a vet tech check the collar for you. I urge you not to take it off without supervising her. Her incision needs to heal/close, & their mouths are very dirty. Keep an eye on her incision for anything out of the ordinary; such as angry redness & swelling, any oozing etc. I have a cat recuperating right now from surgery. he's had a soft e-collar on for over 2 weeks. He hated it at first, but adjusted to it in no time. If your kitty seems very stressed, buy some Rescue Remedy for Pets--not the human type, as that has alcohol in it. RR is all natural & homepathic. A few drops will do wonders for her anxiety. Whole foods has it, & pets stores.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• wanted to add...when you pick your kitty up, always support her hind legs & back end when doing so. You dont want any strain put on her incision, & her back legs dangling will do that, as well as cause her pain. She has had major surgery, as a spay is a hysterectomy. try to keep her from jumping up & down off furniture or cat trees as well. easier said than done, but patience is your best friend right now. Good luck!!
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2011