Can I take extra vitamin C while pregnant?

They are the chewable tablets, 250 mg. I'm sick and don't want to take other meds, is this a safe alternative?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I took vitamin C while pregnant when I had a cold and have a healthy little boy. I would think you are ok.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i always called the doctor before i took anything just to be on the safe side its only a phone call.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• that is fine. the body tries to keep it's homeostasis, and if you are taking too much, you're body will dump it. Not true with all Vitamins, but V.C will be fine.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Call your doctor to be sure it is alright...too much of anything can be a bad thing...better safe than sorry....I was really sick a couple of weeks ago and hubby kept insisting that I take some extra vitamin C well I was drinking orange juice 3x a day with my iron pills plus I know my prenatal vitamins contained vitamin C already so I while I was at my OB appt.. I was going to ask the DR if it was ok to take the extra C vitamin well turned out I had a upper resp infection so I needed antibiotics more than anything....
    a_ramli05

Answer by a_ramli05 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You cannot overdose on Vitamin C, as one PP said, your body will pee it out. This is not true of all vitamins and supplements.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008