Getting adjusted to new baby sitter

We recently had to switch daycare providers. My son had been with a family friend for the first two years of his life. We searched endlessly until we found someone we were comfortable with. He communicates well but will barely talk about his day or the new provider. All the other kids seem to be having a great time when I go to pick him up but he always seems to be off doing his own thing. Then instantly cries when he sees me. It has only been three days. How long should it take him to adjust to this change?

J.P

Asked by J.P at 12:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a couple of weeks. Talk to the provider about your concerns and get her feedback. Is she reading to the kids and playing with them?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We had pulled our son from the provider he'd been going to for almost two years right when he turned two, and he stayed home with my husband for over six months. Then we started taking him to a new sitter just two days a week (Thurs and Fri) and it took him a good month to get really comfortable there, and now he loves it and asks to go there even on the days he's not scheduled to :) I definitely agree with talking to the new provider about it, just to make sure there are no issues, but it will probably take a little while for him to adjust....
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Give him at least 2 weeks.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Talk to the provider about your worries, and give him a couple weeks to get used to it. If you know any of the other parents, you could talk to them too, if you are really worried. Most kids take a while to get adjusted to a new child care provider-my son went to a couple different providers, because we moved at ages 3-5, and each time it took at least a week or two before he was comfortable.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011