Which way do you twist?

Okay so I have started the twist in my sons hair to try and get it to lock. They have been in about two months now. However, someone told me I twisted his hair in the wrong direction. Does it matter? I twisted in a clockwise motion.

*My child my choice, and actually he likes them!  So please no opinions on dreadlocks just about hair care thanks!

rebecca4673

Asked by rebecca4673 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• ??? lock??? dreads??? On a preschooler..... ewww
    Anonymous

• It doesn't really matter. Did you use something like wax or pomade to secure it? And what is his natural hair type like (so I can help recommend how to get it to stay)?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• He is biracial with both spectrums. He has really fine "good" hair and then its really thick and tight curls. I used organic roots twist and lock gel with some bees wax. They are really getting fuzzy if he dont retwist once every week and half or so.
    rebecca4673

Comment by rebecca4673 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You'll have to retwist a lot at the beginning because you're trying to get his hair to do something it's not doing normally.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Sorry anon - had to vote you down. It's her and her sons choice. Just because it's not your thing...this is her child you're ''eww-ing''.
    Anyway momma, I have no clue but I will bump ya.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 1:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• see a you tube video...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with glitteribonmom youtube can be very helpful my sister learned to do hair based solely on youtube videos and she is only 14 and does hair very well.

im with you cheeky on voting down anon ( i did not vote down though) but agree with you. Its her and her sons choice and at any given time if they do not like it or out grow it all they have to do is get a hair cut.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• in a palm roll dread you have to roll both ways, and some hair won't take to it. Try also twisting in some yarn to help it hold (along with the products you are using already).

Otherwise you may just be better off going with braids. My daughter is biracial and I'm a hair stylist and twists dont' last long in her hair either. (she has fine curly hair, vs course wiry hair that is really needed to create a tight secure hold). You'll also need to learn how to properly lock the ends.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• anon, dreads are not gross and are VERY practical for a preschooler for many reasons.

Some hair types don't need daily cleansing treatments, infact can be harmful to the hair in those cases, and to try to tame the hair so it's not constantly knotting up, causing hours of a screaming child while you try to comb out all the tangles is NOT worth it all the time. Which is why, for children, it can be a blessing to have dreads or braids put in. They will look more polished without having to worry about daily upkeep (which in children like the OP's or my daughters, can take a good hour, and we all know children under 8 are unlikely to side down daily to get their hair done up enough to look remotely presentable before leaving the house.

so really anon, if you don't know what you are talking about, it's best to keep your opinions to yourself. Besides OP kindly asked for personal opinions about them to be kept to yourself.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Thanks ladies for the advice and support xxhazeldoveexx, nicely put thank you!
    rebecca4673

Comment by rebecca4673 (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2011