Christians: what is your opinion on why people become atheists?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Wow, some of these are so far off the mark it's almost funny. I think it's interesting that you would ask Christians about why atheists are atheists. That's like asking people at a steakhouse why people are vegetarians. If you actually want to learn something, why not ask the people you're wondering about?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Wow, does anyone ever read what us atheists answer when asked about why we are atheists? These answers here clearly indicate no one is listening when we explain how we came to identify with being an atheist.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think this post is interesting. As an Atheist it's refreshing to hear the honest opinions that Christians have of Atheists. I'm not hearing anything new, but it does make it clear that Christians (at least the ones answering here) have zero understanding of Atheism or why one would be an Atheist.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm not a Christian, but I have a couple of theories. I think some are just very logical and scientific thinkers, and logically, the whole idea is pretty...well, illogical, lol. Some have a hard time accepting anything that can't be explained, seen, or proven. Then I think there are those who were hurt by Christians or religion and therefore turn away from it. I've known both kinds of Atheists. I know that there are other reasons as well, though, but I'd say those are the two I've encountered most.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Critical thinking is what makes an atheist.  After reading some of these answers, it's easy to see that some people will believe anything.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm left scratching my head, wondering how it is possible to be angry at something which doesn't exist.

You do realize that some of us simply never have (believed, that is), regardless of exposure to religion.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• There's not just one reason. Some may include: it simply not resonating with them, seeming unreasonable or irrational - some of these may have never "become" Atheist, but just be naturally Atheist, if that makes sense - having questions that aren't answered or finding through study or reflection that it just doesn't make sense or "add up" - some could have even started as believers who question or doubt their faith and find through exploration that they don't really believe - having negative experiences that "turn them off" to faith and God. Those are just some of many reasons that I could imagine someone would be Atheist. The only thing that matters to me is that they're following what they truly feel is right for them. When I say I believe we all have to find our own path I do believe that non-belief is one of those paths.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Why would someone vote me down? Care to explain, biiiaaaaatchhh?! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• In theory, isn't all religion about being a good person, not stealing, cheating, killing? Helping others? Loving each other? The God that I beileve in doesn't care whether or not someone prays, worships him, goes to church, etc . . . the only thing he cares about is that his "children" are getting along and being good and moral people. So, it doesn't matter to me whether someone believes in God or not, or what religion they are . . . I judge someone based on the person they are and how they act toward humanity.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am a Christian Witch and I think that their religious views are their business, not yours.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011