Work full time and full time mommy?

Do you think people people who work outside the home can say they are also full time parents? IMO, I don't think they can. I mean, someone else is watching their child while they are at work. I am not bashing people who work outside the home at all, just wondering. I'm a proud full time mommy. I am with my kids 99% of the time they are awake, and the rare 1% is potty breaks. I wait to do things for me, when they are sleeping, like showering or on cm (nap time @ my house right now!!)

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 1:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Funny the way you word this. I don't stop being a mom the minute I start working! I'm just not with my child 24/7.

I'm a very happy working mom. It suits our family.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Reverse your logic a little... if you must be home to be a full time parent, and your husband/SO is working outside the home, then HE is not a full time parent. What would his response be to that?

Parenting is not merely watching the children...if that were true, then I would have been "mom" at 13 to the cousins I baby-sat.

It's a WHOLE PACKAGE of teaching and supporting those children.. With one of the most important parts being the setting of an example, of the rewards of education and work.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• How is this not bashing?? You are telling us that we aren't FULL Time Mommies?? I think you are very lucky to be able to financially stay home with your child - that's great for YOU!!! that doesn't mean for a second we aren't full time mommies.. I get so tired of SAHM talking like this, as if you are better than we are. - we choose to have children and my son means the WHOLE world to me, however he is with someone teaching him as I am not able to in a loving home environment and who by all rights, is more patient than It turned out I am and who is more educated in children than it turns out I am and this way, he also get siblings which he won't have - I think my son gets the best of both worlds..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Personally I think any parent is a full time parent. No matter if they work or not. They are ultimately reponsible for a child's upbringing, schooling, health, and character building. It can be done in a multitude of ways and the buck always stops with the parent, not any other care giver.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• What is it considered when she is sitting at home calling herself a SAHM while the kids are in school???
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You are bashing. I don't stop being a parent when I walk out the door. I am a SINGLE parent, working and going to school. But I am still a fulltime mom. My mom duties don't stop when I am not with my child. NO ONE else raised my son but ME. He may have went to day care but I RAISED HIM, not day care. When he was sick, I was there caring for him, when he was hurt, I was there comforting him. I made his meals, washed his clothes, read to him, hugged him loved him. I was at his school functions and still am.

How dare you say that moms that work are not 100% fulltime parents, what an insult to those of us who have to work and parent or chose to work and parent. You are not better than us because you stay home and even if you stay home it doesn't mean you are a 100% parent either, kids are in school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Well some of us don't have the pleasure of staying home with our kids and we have to work to pay bills...but i do consider myself a full time mother...I don't care what anyone thinks about it either...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think parents do the best they can with what they have at the time for the most part. I've done full time work, full time parenting, part time work and they all worked for me at the time.
    I'm aware someone watched my first two kids while I worked full time, I'm also aware they loved going to " school " during that time. I know plenty of moms who are SAHM who are not full time parents,- shopping, drinking, partying, going out, whatever.
    Not working does not classify anyone as a full time on hands parent.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Sooo, when your kids are in school, while you work... what is that called?
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 1:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• So I guess you have a few or couple of years when your kids enter school to not be a full time mommy and just a substitue part time mommy. I am a full time mommy and work full time as well. My daughter goes to school at the hours I am at work that doesnt make me less of a parent at all. You seem very naive and uneducated. Focus that negativity to get an education.
    Anonymous