Atheists: why are people Christians?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 1:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Shang what answers could we give to this question that would be accurate and not lumping you all in the same barrel. She was trying to point out how it really is silly to ask christians how we all became atheist. No two people have the same reason for their path no matter if it is the same destination or not. I am very positive your reason is not the same as Dr Donna's whose reason is not the same as sosayyous who has a different reason than jewjew who has a different reason than my sister who has a different reason than the pastor dowm the street. I do hope you see where I am going with this.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Why does it matter? ( this is not a personal attack towards you at all! lol) Why can't we all just realize that everyone has a different belief and leave it at that. I am not religious whatsoever.. i dont label myself as an athiest.. agnostic.. anything.. i just.. dont participate. I do respect those that do.. its none of my business WHY they are christian.. it has nothing to do with me!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 1:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Because the want to be. Or they need to believe in something.

Answer by louise2 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• LOL nice. I have lots of theories based on the Christians I know, but I'm sure they all have their own reasons. I'm going to leave it at that. :P
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ~*Wow*~... believing in religion has nothing to do with being insecure, or needing others to love you (I love me, and have HIGH self-esteem), and it was by trial and error??? My mom was a hippie and taught us to follow/learn from others, so I've been exposed to all religions and cultures (sadly remember little of the various languages)... but I found what works for me and my family

I love the foundations in which it is all built on, much like our country!!! I love the idea I have moral/ethics, and because it is right and not to look good in front of others (humility)... sad that those that choose to bash and stir up drama can't find the happiness others do, and it is HUMAN to think there is more after we die... wonder if those that bash religion are constantly thinking that the life in front of them is all there is, depressing them more? not bashing, just curious... i love my life, my family, and science has even proven
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have my theories but ultimately,  I really don't care.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Because they have faith in God, that's why. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Everone has faith in something, even though I'm an atheist, I have faith in many things. I just have never been able to have faith in God.

IhartU, you may have intended this question to be humorous, but I can see a real point to thinking about this subject. Good for you for putting this out there.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am not a Christian. I was raised a Christian and then I grew up and converted to Judaism. Why do I believe in God? Because I do. Because I choose to see God in everything around me. I don't believe in God because I am insecure or because I need someone to love me, I have a lot of people who love me in my life. I believe in God because....just because. There's no reason I can give, I just do. I see God when I look at the sky, the grass, the trees, when someone is born and when someone dies. I see God in everything around me. Because I choose to. I don't care if others believe in God or not, that's a personal choice. I don't care of others believe in Jesus, in Allah, in Buddha, are Wiccan, are Pagan or even if they are Satanists. Why? Because that is THEIR choice and we have Free Will to believe or not believe in whatever we choose. That's why I believe in God. Because I choose to.
    Anonymous

• ~*Amen*~... it was like the question was designed to simply do "thumbs down" and show their true character??? I wouldn't do that to others, and it is childish to do here???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Meant (they not the)

Answer by louise2 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011