How effective is the withdrawl method?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Not as great as one might hope... they have "pre-cum"... and that is long before they do their thing... so...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• One of the worst methods out there if you are trying to avoid pregnancy. Pretty good fail rate if you want to be pregnant.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Well I have two kids who probably arent complaining about that form of birth control since without it they wouldnt be here.

Answer by gemgem at 1:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I guess its not a good method because of the precum and all but my DH and I have done the pull out for about 3yrs before we got pregnant. We got pregnant when he didnt pull out. Im am so fertile that at anytime he doesnt pull out I will be pregnant. My experience of course is different from many who may have gotten pregnant from the pull out method.
    Anonymous

• I have done a lot of research on withdrawl method, because that is our chosen method (me and DH) and IF done correctly it has been research and proven very effective. I have often feared that because we have used it for so long and many people (including doctors) describe it as not effective that I was definitely infertile. Doing my own research made me feel a little better however it is still very frustrating......any advice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Anon, do you have any proof of its effectiveness? Like medical studies or something like that?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• When the time comes that you want to be pregnant you might know relatively soon if you will have problems. Most doctors ask you to try for a year before doing any tests but you might want to mention this when, and if, you decide to conceive.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes....I simply typed in "Withdrawl method" in google and found a lot of very interested research, specifically at Guttmacher Institute a nonprofit organization that focuseson sexual and reproductive. They produced a study and it was reported on the ABC News/Health website.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It worked for us for a while. we used that method before we were ttc. After I had my DD and went on the pill and then decided to go off of it for financial reasons, the withdrawal method failed and now I have my surprise DS.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My impression from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is that the withdrawal method, used properly, is supposed to be about eighty percent effective. For those looking for citations, this stat is based on Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, in one of the appendices that cites the method and user failure rates of various methods of bc.

However, my youngest child is a withdrawal baby... we must have been in that twenty percent method failure group!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011