Atheists: what lead you to become an atheist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Really, who is going to listen to the answers here. This has been asked 1 million times already, and clearly no one is listening to the answers given.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Everyone is entitled to thier own belief without explanation of why
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i guess i am more so than anything else..but i don't consider myself to be anything. maybe agnostic. anyways, i decided to turn away from my families baptist ways because of the way the preachers like to scare you into being at the church. i don't believe its right to make people feel like you are going to go to hell if you don't do certain things. kids don't understand that anyways...and thats where they like to start, is with the kids...so they can brainwash them
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I followed where my heart lead me- it's as simple as that.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• In case anyone actually chooses to read AND understand....here it is AGAIN:

I wasn't led to be an atheist. I wasn't raised to be an atheist. I didn't choose to be an atheist.

I simply always have been despite being raised in a christain household. It wasn't until my early 20's that I learned to listen to my heart. And I realized that I am very much a spiritual atheist.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• lol I can't believe how grumpy everybody is. Thanks for answering though.

My answer is much the same as sahmamax2, I never could believe in god or  jesus. I tried very hard to make myself believe as a teen, ans began reading the bible and theology, praying etc., I then tried to learn about other religions. But the idea of god just doesn't make sense to me, all religions seems completely man made to me, and I finally decided to be true to my own beliefs and stop pretending to be something I was not.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was raised in a Christian family, went to church, was baptized and confirmed. I never had a traumatic church experience. The people there were perfectly nice, and nothing pushed me away from the church (and I mention that because it's a very common assumption). I just simply never believed. From the time I was a little girl in Sunday school, I was there constantly asking questions, because none of it was believable. I have always been an atheist, even before I knew there was a word for it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Research, not only on religion itself but the evolution of man's philosophies,and just simply not believing. Others can look at it as simply being "hard-wired" not to believe as my thought process is very analytical and logic oriented. the conccept of God defies that logic and thus is discarded. No bad church experiences, no "mean" Christians, nothing traumatic happening to me where I "blame God" for something. My life has been very very good and very very fulfilling and blaming something I don't believe in is a ridiculous notion anyways.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No drama, no bad experiences, and no, I'm not mad at God or rebelling against how I was raised.

I started questioning my faith when I was in my early 30s after listening to my brother testifying his fundamentalist beliefs. I came to realize science and logic make the most sense to me.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Critical thinking which, like common sense, isn't very common.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011