Has anyone's teen been succesful in losing weight?

My daughter is 13 and needs to loose some weight ( says her doctor). The doctor has been telling her this for the past couple of years. She was in denial about it, but now she really wants to loose. I keep healthy food in the house and cook healthy meals. She has been working out a little ( walking on treadmill). I don't know what else to do to help her. She is about 25 lbs overweight. She feels so poorly about herself and says all the other girls are so skinny. We met with a nutrionist and that didn't go well at all. My daughter lied to her about what she eats on a typical day and wouldn't listen to the woman at all. She is a very picky eater and I think that has something to do with her weight issues. If anyones teen has been succesful at loosing weight I would love to hear how they went about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Each time my kids needed to lose weight they did the best by being more active. They both jog and hike. Also they knew they had to cut out the pizza and similar foods in their college years. Maybe there is something you could do with her, like walking, joining a swim club, etc. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• my sister joined spark teen and it helped a lot
    ttc_number2

Answer by ttc_number2 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I've heard that the game Dance Dance Revolution is a great way to get teens to exercise.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• YOU do it WITH her.....get OUTSIDE and walk with her. If you have a wii - get wii fit or wii fit plus and do it WITH her. Challenge her without pushing her.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My boys are wrestlers and as much as I don't agree, they loose weight on a regular basis (like ridiculous amounts). My youngest is trying to lose 10lbs this week (5 days) They do this by increasing exericise and limiting calorie intake - which is pretty much how you loose weight.
    They will run for 30 minutes to an hour on the treadmill at 5 or 6 mph, they eat 3 small meals a day. Example: breakfast toast w/scrambled egg, lunch - tuna and crackers; dinner 6 oz steak and veggies or salad or fruit. It is very limited calorie intake - which I wouldn't recommend. However keeping only healthy foods, like wheat bread, wheat pasta, fruit, veggies, chicken, tuna in the house and lots of water. Getting her moving - take walks together, go to the gym together, there are a lot of video games to use these days as well. Learn how to make her favorite meals low calorie and watch portions. Good luck. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You need to make this a family project; don't make special meals for her, or buy foods that she should not eat.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• a trick i learned is to drink a glass of cold water *drinking cold things makes your body burn off calories not much but every little bit helps because it has to warm up the liquid* also 3 sensible meals with a couple of healthy snacks. the cold water will make your body think its fuller then it is. Also don't eat till you're full eat till you're satisfies because it ake about 10 minutes for you body to register you're full so she should take a break once she's satisfied and if in 10 mins she's still hungry eat more. NEVER starve yourself. Also try to keep calorie intake to about 1800 a day. if she wants to get on a plan weight watchers is AMAZING! its not a fad diet it is a lifestyle change
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• they key to losing weight isn't necessarily lowering your calorie intake just by itself.. when you don't give your body enough calories, it goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down. instead of eating 3 small meals a day, eat 5 (doing so helped me lose weight quick! 30 lbs in a month and a half to be exact, and 4 pant sizes). I still ate foods I enjoyed, learned to eat foods that weren't my favorite because my body needed them for fuel, and I worked out on a regular basis. I have never in my life leaned down so quickly and I felt the best I have in my life. I know I'm not a teen, but I'm not long past it either. I call it my lifestyle change, not a diet, because that's what it has to be for success. I love sharing my story with anyone that wants to hear it, so if you want to know what helped me so much, feel free to PM me and I'd love to tell you how I did it!! wishing you and your daughter much success!
    lovemyboys8608

Answer by lovemyboys8608 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The only diet program that has ever worked for me was Weight Watchers- I did it as a teen and lost 25 lbs in 2 months in order to fit into my dream prom dress. The wonderful thing about that program is that it allows you to eat any food you love- just a limited amount of it(which is how most people end up over weight; not limiting their portions) It teaches you portion size and how if you want that bowl of ice cream after dinner, than eat lighter meals during the day. The program works great and I intend to get back on it as soon as I have this baby! Good Luck!

An important thing to is to remember that it is easier to loose weight when you have someone that does is with you. Also, it has to be HER decision to loose the weight. If you try to force it on her she might drop the pounds initially but then she is more likely to pack the pounds right back on.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My son just lost 50+ pounds over the last 4-5 months (and is still losing)! He's been counting calories...1500 or less a day. He eats whatever he wants (tries to eat healthy), drinks ONLY water and exercises for about 45 minutes -- 3x a week (treadmill, stair-step, stationary bike). If he can't get to the gym he walks and uses the stairs at home to exercise. And, he writes down EVEYRTHING he eats, we keep a journal on the Kitchen counter. NOT having "bad" foods in the house helps a lot...then there is NOTHING "bad" to choose! Like the PP's said...joining in with your child in the process helps too. I've done that with my Son and we've been cooking together (dinners) with new recipes. He's really gotten into eating foods that are good for him now. I hope your DD can lose weight. Being a teen is tough sometimes...weight problems needn't be an issue too! GOOD LUCK!

Lb128f

Answer by Lb128f at 9:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011