Why do we have black history month?

Where is american indian month? british american month? irish american month? ect. ect.ect. There are many ethnicities and races that make up America. Why is only one singled out and has an entire month dedicated to learning about its history? I think they all are very important. I also think it is very important to know that we stole this country from the inians. I'm certain I will be bashed for this, I am just wondering why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i have to agree.... my kids brought home a picture of Obama that they had to color.. they colored his skin brown...I dont mind... I mean we have to learn about our presedent... but as a kid we never colored photos of our current presedent... we did studies on George and licoln... major key players in american history... but obama???... he is still a baby when it ome to the predency so what has he done othr than being the first black Muslim presedent... I am sure you cn all tll that I am thrilled to have him as a presedent... but none the less he is a presedent and I respect him for that...
    I never understood why there is such a long and drawn out month for the african americans.. tv stations, colleges, there are SO many more cultrues that have contribued "suffered" for us to become the incredible nation that we are!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Native Pride here. And yes I see what you mean each race is very important and played a big role in the America and United states That we all call home. As for a reason On why Black histpry month is the only race that has a month I really don't know, maybe there isn't enought months or something. I cant wait to see everyone's opnions on the subject.
    piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 1:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Peanut butter is just fine with chocolate...doesn't need bread...I'm just sayin..
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• At one time or another in history each race was oppressed Jewish, African, Indian, Mexican you name it each race has a history. Not saying lets get everyone a month. I'm just trying to say Without the suffering, knowledge, inventions and just all out will of the "american people" not one race in general but all as a whole have made america what it is today. African american rights, womens rights, gay rights, in the end it all started because one person had a dream.
    piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 2:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have wondered and asked that same question. Thanks for posting - and sorry the idiots bashed ya...but I'm pretty sure you knew that was coming. =)
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• im with piorkowski
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 2:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ~*IDK*~... Irish only get St. Patty's day, Mexican only get Cinco De Mayo... and the list goes on... guess they are the only ones that demanded an entire month? I don't know... I'm multi-Racial, but don't follow most stuff! There are so many holidays I pick and choose what we celebrate.. Black history month just isn't one of them, they get more than enough of it at school they don't need it at home too
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Look at the trail of tears, concentration camps, wars upon wars. Everyone was involved. SO carver Invented peanut butter what good is that without bread? We are a country of many people. And sometimes I still see favortism with the races, I will go ahead and say that. But what can you do?

piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 2:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Irish and Africans Americans had lots in common and lots of contact during this period; they lived side by side and shared work spaces. In the early years of immigration the poor Irish and blacks were thrown together, very much part of the same class competing for the same jobs. In the census of 1850, the term mulatto appears for the first time due primarily to inter-marriage between Irish and African Americans. The Irish were often referred to as "Negroes turned inside out and Negroes as smoked Irish." A famous quip of the time attributed to a black man went something like this: "My master is a great tyrant, he treats me like a common Irishman."
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Free blacks and Irish were viewed by the Nativists as related, somehow similar, performing the same tasks in society. It was felt that if amalgamation between the races was to happen, it would happen between Irish and blacks. But, ultimately, the Irish made the decision to embrace whiteness, thus becoming part of the system which dominated and oppressed blacks. Although it contradicted their experience back home, it meant freedom here since blackness meant slavery.

Anonymous