Marriage contract?

I was reading some posts and came across one that mentioned a "marriage contract". I have never heard of one, what is it?

cecyh9

Asked by cecyh9 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• You might have read my answer to something. In Judaism we have an actual contract for marriage that is signed before the ceremony takes place. In Medieval times it was often done weeks or even months before the ceremony and was considered binding. Now it is signed just before the ceremony. It is called a Ketuba.

It is a prenup in a way. If a man wanted to divorce his wife he would have to pay the amount that was in the Ketuba, and usually the whole sum outright. If a woman was widowed she would get money this way as well. It really protected women in general because the amount was just a pittance, it was serious money. I'm sure it made people really think about divorce.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm pretty sure that a marriage contract could be a prenuptual agreement. A prenuptual agreement is signed when one or both partners are rich and if they happen to divorce, one or the other, or both won't lose any assets from the divorce.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I assume it's like a prenup that includes how each person will be treated.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• from what i under stand its a contract that two people come to a agreement about they are getting married for benifits and things like that but i could be wrong
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 2:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I figure a couple things. I know some Dom/sub couple have contracts.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Never heard of it
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011