How do you calculate the age of a premie baby?

Here is my dilemma, My son was born 1/31/11. However he was born a month prematurely. His due date was.. 2/28/11. SO HOW OLD CAN I ACTUALLY CLAIM HE IS..

I personally think he is 22 days old.

However his doctor says he is only 38 weeks.. Still calculating his gestational age..

I would assume the gestational age ends at the time of birth.. no matter what the birth time.

Why o' WHY DO DOCTORS MAKE THINGS SO CONFUSING?

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 2:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The doctor is using his adjusted age. You may use the chronological age in talking to people. Use the adjusted age in gauging milestones.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• you go from the day he was born mine were early also
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 2:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am having the same confusion. My son was born 12/27/10 but was not due until 2/26/11. His "corrected" age as they call it would still be in negative numbers.....I say he is almost 2 months old, and explain that he was 9 weeks early when they look at me like I am crazy.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• yea, it goes by his date of birth. not his original due date.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• When talking with others you can say 22 days, but for the doctors for weight and milestones they will use his adjusted age which is currently 38 weeks and for example come March 28 his adjusted age will be 1 month, but his age will be 2 months old. Preemies develop at a slower rate typically so docs use the adjusted age to gauge their development. What most children would be doing at 6 months old your won't until 7 months in essence is what the medical field says.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes. My son was a month early too. U go by the day he was born. BTW,my son is a computer technology genius!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• To me. Premie or not. when the baby is born is the babies birthday. I would start the babies age from their. I am with you, Your baby is 22 days old.

Answer by louise2 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Like others have said, the Dr goes by the due date to track milestones and measurements. Otherwise a preemie may show up at the bottom of the growth charts, causing undue worry.

My daughter was 7 weeks early, and it took 2 years for her to finally make it on the unadjusted growth chart.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• What it all means: January 31 is his birthday and that's how OLD he is. BUT in terms of gestation and development he is at 38 weeks. Technically making him still in the womb. Premature babies spend that time between birth and due date finishing up their development so that they are the "same" as babies that are NOT premature.

Example: If all babies crawl at 6 months old YOUR baby will crawl at 7 months old. I KNOW not all babies do everything at the same time, it's just an example.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i am a mother of a little boy who was premie. they calculate the age by the time that they were supposed to be born if they were born premature. after the child turns age 2 years, they then go by the actual day that they were born. they calculate the age by their origional due date because that just shows them how old they would be if they were born on their actual due date and to run the right tests if they get sick, like for RSV since premies are at a higher rist for getting RSV, their immune system isnt up to what it would be if they were born at their due date. hope this helps
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 2:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011