How do you get your kids to eat?

My son is 4 and a very picky eater. How can I get him to eat? Let alone eat fruits and veggies as well. He only likes watermelon really i know strange huh kids love the sweet fruits but not him. Also how can I get him to eat when its breakfast lunch and dinner. He eats his food after it gets cold or takes one bite then five minutes later wants something else. Any ideas?

arobert29

Asked by arobert29 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've started doing Bento meals for the gremlins... they eat well, but they stared being picky like something they ate 3 days ago, all of sudden wouldn't touch... and I refuse to be a short order cook in my own home.. lol.. so far it's worked well... and i do not do it all the time (didn't want to make it habit, and the ONLY way they'd eat either.. lol) good luck..
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Our son is a picky eater and we have stopped the dinner time battles, do what is right for your family but for some meals he has somethign diffrent. We did have a rule, he did need to take a thank you bite of things, just one bit to keep trying it. He is 7 now and likes more things.

Eventually your son will eat, just let him know that when the meal is over, its over nothing else until the next meal. If he is hungry enough he will eat. No child had anything horrible happen to them by missing a meal or two :) good luck, I knwo how stressful it can be, try not to let it take over meals, try to enjoy the family time together.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We make sure to include at least 2 foods he does like with dinner. He must try one bite of each food we serve. When dinner is over, dinner is over. If he hasn't eaten then he needs to wait until the next meal since there was plenty of at least 2 items he liked.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• In my house my 3 year old son has 2 try everything i make even if it is something new. I make him sit there and i give him 2 options he can do it himself like a big boy or i will do it for him or (daddy) and. And order for him to leave the table i will sort out what and how much i want him to eat, He may not get up until he has that part eaten up and only give him half a sippy of Milk or water. If he doesn't eat like a good boy and wants junk food or whatever i am eating for a desert i tell him NO he may not have it cuz he didn't eat his supper or lunch nice
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 7:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Tell/ Read them a story as you feed them, to make them keep on eating till the story is over !
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No child at any age will starve themselves! Believe I teach 4 year olds and they will eat when they are hungry. Only mak eone meal and if he decideds not to eat it, he will be hungry later. Will you decide to give him the food you prepared or will you give in and make him something you know hell eat. If he knows there will not be anything else, hell begin to try fods
    icequeen32

Answer by icequeen32 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011