Is being the only child lonely??? or did you make it work for yourself?

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• i am an only child, and NOT spoiled... I worked hard for what i got and treasured everything i got... i made friends easly and found myself quiet occupied at times... i think being an only child is alot easier for todays kids then they were 30 years ago!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My husband was an only and he said he was never lonley, didn't know what it was like to have siblings anyway. He had a big family so that helped. Our son is an only and if you ask him he'll say no, he keeps himself pretty busy.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had great cousins, but I spent a lot of time alone and it kind of sucked. My SO had siblings, and the crap they went through made me grateful to be alone. Sometimes I want DS to have a brother or sister, but I realize what a challenge it truly must be to treat more than one child equally and as an individual all at the same time. I don't know if I'm cut out for it.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 2:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was pretty lonely growing up. But I was also home schooled and lived in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't have friends that lived close by.
    smurfyabs

Answer by smurfyabs at 2:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• For me it was lonely. I was the only child of an only child with a deadbeat dad. So I had no cousins to fill in. Plus mom worked full time and was a barely functioning alcoholic. Thankfully I had awesome grandparents who kept me sane. and neighbors who let me hang out when I was lonely.

DH has 3 older sisters. He'd like to trade them in most days. So, I don't know if there is a better in regards to having siblings or not (especially if the parents are fairly well adjusted functioning individuals.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was raised as an only child. Yes, I got spoiled but I wasn't a brat. I can say that I always wished (even now) that I had a sibling. Being an only made me want at least 2.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 2:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My sister is a lot older than me so I grew up alone (and with a different father) so yes it was lonely for me. I never outgrew it either. I'm still lonely and don't socialize well with new people.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I loved being an only child. I made it work for myself, and I really loved it. The only downside of it came in my later teen years when my parents went through a divorce and I kinda got stuck in the middle for a while..
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My daughter is an only child and instead of fighting with siblings, she fights, argues and is competitive with ex and myself. I agree with "gutterflower585" that with the divorce, it was very hard on her and she had no one to share her experience with.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011