How do you feel about the mandatory seat belt laws?

First just let me say that I am some one who always wears her seat belt and I also make sure that my children are properly secured, but I still think that it should be my decision as to whether or not I want to put my life at risk, not the governments. What do you think?

slick05

Asked by slick05 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My body my choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• So anon, if your child was orphaned do you think she/he would be glad you said "my body my choice".?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Mind your own uterus.
    Anonymous

• I used to agree with you. But not anymore. Seat belt usage has dropped the highway fatalitly statistics drastically and I think anything that keeps people out of the hospital and the graveyards is okay with me. Nobody rides in my car without a seatbelt on.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 11:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I find it interesting that a 15 year old in some states can get an abortion WITHOUT notifying her parents.
    But if that same child is in the car with her parents and they have an accident, THE parents can be charged with child endangerment.

WTF kinda crap is that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• (if she isn't wearing a seatbelt)
    Anonymous

• I am a very petite person. I just make the height and weight requirements to sit in the front seat and I am 44 yrs old. If I were to be in a severe car accident I would die. 1 because the seat belt would break my neck, 2 the air bag would crush my chest. So, do I think seat belt laws should be mandatory.hmmm for the children yes, but do not tell me I do not have a choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• GOOD POINT - anon 11:42.

And when Obama signs the Freedom of Choice act, in ALL states, 13 year olds will be free to get an abortion without consent.

Anonymous

• anon 11:43...what does that have to do with the question? Its about seatbelts...not Obama or abortion...stay focused sweetie..

I personally don't care if its the law or not...ride in my car, wear your seatbelt. My daughter is NEVER in vehicle without the proper restraints. That's MY law.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 11:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• So it's "do as I say not as I do"? I get that there are some physical limitations some people have with wearing seatbelts, height being a major one, but what do you tell your children when they ask why you don't wear yours? I'm not criticizing, I am actually curious about what you tell them? Do you tell them you're too small to safely wear one? How do you explain it?
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 11:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2008